Edited: Big Liver Spleen/ Graphic Photos

I think we can eliminate diet, and pronounce sub-clinical LL as the diagnosis with high confidence.

Will this change your future Mareks vaccination plans, or because you aldready have vaccinated birds, you will continue the practice, even with the risk of additional LL cases in the future?
Only the serotype 2 vaccine was discussed as potentially increasing the severity of LL symptoms. Since the vaccine available to small breeders is serotype 3, I don't see why not.

I think we can eliminate diet, and pronounce sub-clinical LL as the diagnosis with high confidence.

Will this change your future Mareks vaccination plans, or because you aldready have vaccinated birds, you will continue the practice, even with the risk of additional LL cases in the future?
I still have two unopened bottles of Marek's vaccine in the fridge. Knowing they may have LL, I'll have to think about it. Since I won't be bringing anymore birds in and since I probably don't have Marek's now, there doesn't seem to be a need.

WOW! I am so sorry, you are getting hit with body blows from all sides. I'll be the first to offer a truth of little comfort, one that never satisfies. "This too, will pass".

Going to delay replacement birds till Spring, I assume?
Thank you. I'm just going to keep what I have and if there are survivors, they 'll probably go broody but I don't have the heart to do this all over. It seems a very clear message for me to "STOP".

Dry, I hope this is Ringo
7448B4FF-90C2-47F5-B10E-521E3CF4ED9A.jpeg

Dry, I hope this is Ringo View attachment 2848431
This is very mild, in fact it looks like he is already healing. I have had dry fowl pox sweep through my flock almost every summer except for this one and it had never claimed any birds. It can make some look pretty ugly for a bit with the sores and scabs on their faces but never leaves any permanent damage. And the good thing is that they are immune to it for the rest of their lives. :)

This is very mild, in fact it looks like he is already healing. I have had dry fowl pox sweep through my flock almost every summer except for this one and it had never claimed any birds. It can make some look pretty ugly for a bit with the sores and scabs on their faces but never leaves any permanent damage. And the good thing is that they are immune to it for the rest of their lives. :)
Thank you. He just developed this from yesterday afternoon to the morning.... he is such a sweet boy.

A state vet called me just now and offered his number and help if I need him. That was so nice.

Thank you. He just developed this from yesterday afternoon to the morning.... he is such a sweet boy.

A state vet called me just now and offered his number and help if I need him. That was so nice.
If I remember correctly, wet pox is the one that's more dangerous for the birds. I think dry pox for the most part is just an annoyance. Could be totally wrong though

So sorry that you are dealing either with Mareks or Lymphoid Leukosis virus, along with fowl pox. I am not an expert on any of those, not a vet, but I think that @azygous recently was dealing with something similar. She has had LL in her flock for a long time, but recently had a hen who seemed to have Mareks. It is all in a rather long recent thread of hers, and I’m not sure about the conclusion. I had suggested getting the home test kit available from a couple of national labs to test blood from a cut toenail for Mareks. This pcr Mareks test is done by RAL and I think someone else did it through UGa. It is about $40 total I think. Here is the link for RAL if you want to check it out:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

Back
Top Bottom