Edited Now I understand all the stressing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 4, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    The wire you hook to the light fixture thing and the thermastate , Does it need to have the plasic coating stripped off of it then screwed down or can it have the coating on it.???

Up Date , I got it wired up and my bator put together now Im fighting with my therms, one says like 100 and the other one says 106 , I wont know for shure Im assumeing till my wanna be water wiggler warms up to bator temp and I check that with my digital?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the part that goes around the screw needs to be strip back, just enought to go on screw

3. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Gahhhhhh...[​IMG]

I have wired re wired and re wired and re wired, I got a flash once but nothing sence I changed the bulb checked the fuses for the life of me I cant figure out what I did , now I cant get anything to happen at all... It dosnt help that my thermstat looks diffrent so I am guessing whats one and two .

4. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:If your house is wired up correctly (as in, Not an old House, which I ran into years ago),

Black Wire Hot.. White Wire ground/nuetral/common.. as well as bare wire if u have that. Ignore bare wire..

In case you are using a non standard electrical wire, just keep the same colors in line as below..

So run Black Wire to Thermistat #1 screw first. then black out of thermistat #2 screw to one screw of Light.. .. White Wire to other screw on the light.

If you have a small 120v bulb hooked up for making sure electric is on, just wire Black to one side of bulb socket and White to opposite screw..

Just do NOT let a white and black wire get together or you will have a BIG Short..

Hopes this helps you..

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

Ok no comments on my intellect alowed once I tell you uh why I was haveing the issues.
    I didnt do the plug right. I didnt have a bottle kit so I had to buy the socket, plug and wire all seperate and first I had to wire the wire to the plug then I had to do the thermastat and socket. The wire was all black but I think I have it figured out now. I wasnt opening the plug and putting the wire deep in there and then squeezeing the prongs to bite into the wire,<cant think of a better way to explain it then that> So now the light is on everything is hooked up and Im checking to see what the thermestate does.
    right now my bator is about 99F and it hasnt switched off yet Ill let it go up about 2 more F then Ill start fiddleing to make shure , the thermastate has a factory preset of 120 so I have to start from scratch [​IMG]

6. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    Quote:This is the worst piece of advice I think I have read to date. You are dealing with electricity, which at best can hurt you and at worst can KILL you!

If you do not wire the "earth ground" ....you, your machine, your chicks and everything else is NOT grounded and you can "fry" everything in your setup, including yourself. I personally would much rather have stray current, spike or whatever travel the ground and safely away from myself and my setup, then entering me or my equipmpent.

DO NOT "ignore bare wire"

Dan

7. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Thank you.
    I do not think I have any bare wire < if you mean any wire without the plastic what not coating > except right at the edge of the screws, less then a tiny sliver is showing on any and not on all , Is this ok, I have the plastic faceplate on my thermastat so that there is no chance of touching screws or wires if they were to slip or anything, I have my light socket fittedinto the side of the styro cooler and there is Black electircal tape covering anything that looks like it could be made of metal or anything else. I can see no wires or screws the way my set up is now, Does this sound ok?
    I ran my bator all night so far so good , Only thing is my thermometrs say 102 and 108 but when I take my homemade water wiggles temp its only 98.1 so should I go by that and not the other two ?
    Also my thermastat lets the temp fall about 10 Degrees befor it kicks back on ,<acroding to my therms , and apx 1.5 acording to my wiggler. How is that? As far as I can tell cause I was sleeping about 80% of its running time it cycles in around 8-10 minute cycles. Off and then on .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    How many people are useing Hand made / Home made bators right now and what kind are they useing?
    Is it ok if my therms bounce around as long as my water wiggler and digital stay fairly constent?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by