1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*edited* Sex/breed questions from a newbie - any experts want to help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by taelir, Apr 18, 2009.

1. taelir

taelir New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    MI transplant to KS
    We bought these from TSC roughly 5 weeks ago (if my memory is serving me correctly).

I can tell we've got two Barred Rocks pullets, the other four are stumping me just a bit. We have two of each breed - I'm guessing two Red Sex-Links, but the other two I'm not sure of.

I'm also thinking we've got one roo out of the bunch - he appears to be the only one developing wattles, his comb is noticeably larger, and his legs are thicker than the rest. He's also pretty bossy - the others have learned to let him have some of the strawberry first [​IMG]

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

Red Sex-Link pullet?
    [​IMG]

Red roo of some sort - thoughts on what kind?
    [​IMG]

And for comparison, the day we brought them home (two of the lighter ones had reddish chipmunk striping on their backs):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    My friend, you'll have better luck if you retitle your post more specifically. For instance, I am no expert on breed or sex of chicks. That's who you want.

So title with that info: An example: "Breed and sex of chicks? any experts?" That oughta draw out the ones who know.

Ya gotta flatter em a bit. They do like being called experts. 'Cause they ARE.

3. taelir

taelir New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    MI transplant to KS
    My apologies - you make a good point on having to butter 'em up.

Edited the title. Thanks [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

by the way [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida. Really cute chicks!

5. taelir

taelir New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    MI transplant to KS
    Thanks! I'm quickly seeing the fun in this addiction.

I'm grateful my husband is enjoying all the critters, too. That makes this so much easier [​IMG]

6. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    **eh ehm**

i totally take credit for her addiction. i made her a video of my hens coming when i called them, and her husband owes me big time b/c he wanted some so badly, and i talked her into it.

hehe.

and i have no idea what those 4 are my dear, but i am willing to bet you've got two roos.

7. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I agree, two roos!

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Guessing only because I am not an expert-a BO roo that is being held

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by