Edited title due to constipation EMERGENCY....please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BWchicken, Sep 7, 2009.

1. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I have 12 bantams 4 weeks old I got from MPC, and 2 are buff brahmas. They all just finished a course of Duramycin for IB after some of them seemed to develop pneumonia, and they all have recovered nicely. I'm giving them probiotic (crushed tablets). Both brahmas from day one have had constipation problems. I've tried molasses repeatedly with no success. One has had it worse and sometimes screams when trying to poo, so I often have to "help" it poo. Once we get it all out, he is fine. It comes out in BIG, hard, dry masses. My poor baby....And this is the one that now has a crooked inner toe, it's bent inwards at the joint 90 degrees. The chick walks, runs and scratches just like the rest. And aside from the constipation, he seems perfectly healthy and happy. The other brahma has a toe that may be just slightly bent, if at all. They were not born with crooked toes, it has developed recently, I just noticed it today. I immediately started giving the brahmas Poly-Vi-Sol. None of the rest have any toe problems.

After frantically reading on here about the toe problem, I assumed it must be a vitamin deficiency since it just now showed up. So I came across an older post advising to check the starter feed expiration date, because the vitamins degrade quickly. So I checked mine (Purina Start n Gro Medicated), and dear God it had expired July 7- and I bought it Aug 5! That makes me sick and mad and I'm kicking myself for not checking it before. Never again. I'm surprised that the chicks have feathered out so nicely while eating expired feed their WHOLE life (except for my 2 BR, they are SLOW feathering). I thought I was doing everything right, but I have done my babies a grave dis-service, and I feel awful. No wonder they got sick so fast and developed pneumonia. I will be taking that feed back with a piece of my mind to boot.

So now my question is, is it likely that the old feed being deficient is the cause of the crooked toes? Could it also be the cause of the constipation? Or since the brahmas are the only ones with toe and constipation problems, would that mean it's all genetic?

Thank you all so much for being here, I appreciate any knowledge or advice you can give me!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I'm no expert, but I'd think it a possibility. Brahmas grow so much bigger and faster than the rest, it seems their bodies would hurt from lack of nutrients quicker, too.

Good thing you did the polyvisol already. It is without iron, right?

For the brahmas, you might give them a mash of hard boiled egg yolk, plain yogurt (like 1/2 tsp.), and a little of the chick start. Mix it all together and let them at it. For the constipation, you can add a little unsweetened applesauce.

I wonder if a mix of applesauce and cooked oatmeal wouldn't get things moving there?

If it were me, I'd alternate all different mixes.

Make sure the constipated one is drinking plenty of water, of course!

3. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, Poly-Vi-Sol without iron. I didn't know applesauce would help with constipation, I'll have to get some, unsweetened, thanks.

I changed the title of this thread because in the last 24 hours, this chick has become so constipated I'm having to put the crooked toes on the back burner for now. Still giving vitamins though. But I need to do something FAST for this constipation.

This baby now literally screams every time he tries to poo. No matter how much he screams and strains, he can't get it out, it's just too big and hard every time. His vent sticks out and it's shaped like a thimble when he strains. The opening seems stretched out quite a bit too, but he hasn't prolapsed. When he screams, I go get him and gently knead the 'thimble' and his underside until I can push the mass out. Then the 'thimble' goes back down and he is comfortable for about 30 minutes or so until he tries to poo again. I don't even know if this is the right thing to do or not, I just want to get the poo out. Also, he doesn't seem to be eating much now.

Following advice I've read on here, I gave him some olive oil mixed with pineapple juice in a dropper on his beak. The vent is oily when I help him poo, so I guess it passed through okay, but it hasn't helped the problem. I don't know what is going on and I only got a few hours of sleep last night between poos. It's going on 2 days, and I'm starting to fear he may not make it through this. Could this be from the expired feed or maybe the Duramycin? I read on here that someone used olive oil as a enema for their constipated chick, so I'm considering that as a last resort. I just don't know what is happening to this baby, and I desperately want to help him, but nothing seems to work. It's never been this bad. I've also tried molasses and warm bath, without success. I can't even get new feed until tomorrow because all the feed stores are closed for Labor Day.

Has anyone ever had a chick like this? Please, if anyone can help me....I don't want to lose him.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by