Educate me on Bantams please

Double J Farms

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
So until this year one time in my life have I owned Bantam chickens. It was close to 20 years ago and I bought a trio of what the guy called BB Reds. I was living in the north Texas area and there was a market for smaller chickens for people who would buy these couple acre ranchettes out in a semi rural area. I hatched all the eggs I got and built small coops and sold them at trade days. Was a pretty lucrative side hustle. Then I had to get rid of everything in the divorce. Fast forward to now.... I bought Bantams this year for the first time. Since my first experience. I have what I think are some Rhode Island Red Bantams. My stepdaughter has 2 RIR pullets I bought her. IF I get a RIR Bantam rooster and put him with the 2 pullets what will chicks from that Mating be? Bantams? Smaller than full size?

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know what the outcome will be if you mate a bantam RIR rooster to a full size standard RIR pullet?

I've not worked with RIR's, but I have bantam Cochins mated to a standard Barnevelder. The outcome I have found is 3/4 size. I've mated those daughters back to the rooster, and the outcome is still a bit smaller than standard.

Eggs are equally a bit smaller.

But I've not done extensive breeding with tons of birds. My experiences with 3 over several generations.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom