EDUCATE ME PLEASE, ARACAUNA, EASTER EGGERS, AMERACAUNA

Chic-n-farmer

Showers of Blessings
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Clark CO. IL 25 Chicken Years
When I had these years ago they were just called Aracaunas. Please explain the differences to me. Thanks in advance.
hu.gif

I am right there with you!!! I have what I think I bought as an Auracona (wrong spelling) but everyone here says she is an EEer! hehee.........either way she is sweet, but I am curious myslef~

Araucanas and Ameraucanas are true breeds. Easter Eggers may carry the blue egg gene, but they do not fit the standard of either of those breeds. Araucanas and true Ameraucanas are relatively rare, actually.
http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html

Araucanas are rumpless with ear tufts. Ameraucanas have tails and beards and muffs. Ameraucanas only come in these colors: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White

They do not have green legs, ever. There really isn't much in common between Araucanas and Ameraucanas; in fact, they really look nothing alike.

Last edited:
So what would you say my girl is? If you don't mind
smile.png

12581_p1070643.jpg

12581_p1070641.jpg

She is still a baby though........about 3 months old. Thank you! And don't mind the pasta sauce, she loves noodles!!

Last edited:
I cant tell in the pic, but maybe it's just my eyes-does she have greenish legs? If so, she's a very pretty Easter Egger, I'd say. Several people here on BYC raise Ameraucanas and/or Araucanas and could tell you their opinion. White is an accepted color for Ameraucanas, but her legs do not seem the proper color for a true Ameraucana. She's a beauty! Nothing wrong with EEs, but hatcheries are lying through their teeth about what they're selling and I do not like that. Mypetchicken is the only place I know that really calls them what they are. I have four true Ameraucanas and one Easter Egger and they are all beautiful and sweet girls.

Last edited:
I came online with the intention of posting this very topic - thanks ttrjpbcz and speckledhen for the info!

BTW - when I ordered mine (due in tomorrow!!!!!!) from Ideal they did list them as "Easter Eggers" on my receipt but not on thier website!
roll.png

What I didn't "get" at first is that if you have different colors of true Ameraucanas and you breed them together, any offspring that are not the correct, established breed colors are considered to be EEs, not Ameraucanas. I suspect that lots of people make this same mistake that I made.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom