EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

On the subject of 7up being the same as water, reminds me of something my mom told me last time we talked.

"We used to fight all the time when y'all were kids over your stepdad giving y'all Capri Sun. He didn't understand that it's not actually fruit juice. He'd say 'but it tastes like fruit, it must have fruit juice'!"

And on that note, France wants to pass legislation to limit giving kids fruit flavored drinks like Capri Sun because they don't actually have juice in them and are basically sugar water. Part of me says "this isn't a bad idea" while part of me also says "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE".

Last edited:
On the subject of 7up being the same as water, reminds me of something my mom told me last time we talked.

"We used to fight all the time when y'all were kids over him giving y'all Capri Sun. He didn't understand that it's not actually fruit juice. He'd say 'but it tastes like fruit, it must have fruit juice'!"

And on that note, France wants to pass legislation to limit giving kids fruit flavored drinks like Capri Sun because they don't actually have juice in them and are basically sugar water. Part of me says "this isn't a bad idea" while part of me also says "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE".

I'm anti artificial anything when it comes to food. I have a strict policy that if my grandma wouldn't recognize it as food, its probably not going into my mouth. After years of pleading (& a little bullying) we finally got my mother off the 'diet' soda kick, but she still drinks a lot of regular coke. I rarely drink soda at all, but one of the bonuses of living so close to the boarder is that we can usually find "Mexican" sodas that are made with real sugar. :drool I'm all about full fat dairy products too. That used to make my pediatrician crazy because I refuse to give my kids non-fat anything. (I'm not sure how she feels about it now, because we long ago agreed to disagree.)

I'm anti artificial anything when it comes to food. I have a strict policy that if my grandma wouldn't recognize it as food, its probably not going into my mouth. After years of pleading (& a little bullying) we finally got my mother off the 'diet' soda kick, but she still drinks a lot of regular coke. I rarely drink soda at all, but one of the bonuses of living so close to the boarder is that we can usually find "Mexican" sodas that are made with real sugar. :drool I'm all about full fat dairy products too. That used to make my pediatrician crazy because I refuse to give my kids non-fat anything. (I'm not sure how she feels about it now, because we long ago agreed to disagree.)

It's easier for us to limit fake sugars since most sodas and candies and things here are made with real sugar or stevia, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't freak out if my kid has junk food once in a while. But my mom and I also put our foot down when it comes to low-fat food; typically that just means they put more sugar in it and it's not any better for you! I finally convinced her to go back to real butter (having converted myself when I moved to Europe) and we've always drank full fat milk, eaten full-fat cheese, and shunned skim or low-fat milk and foods. If my mom wasn't on steroids for her asthma she'd be skinny as I am, and I'm normally 115 lbs at 5'3" despite eating full fat foods, carbs, and other "no-no" foods.

but one of the bonuses of living so close to the boarder is that we can usually find "Mexican" sodas that are made with real sugar.
We have an area close by refered to as little Mexico. Some of the stores stock sodas/colas in our old returnable bottles. The factory must have purchased out dated machinery from the U.S. and set it up over in Mexico. Some of the bottles are antiques. Those things have been around the block a few times over. Shipped to America now, drank and RIGHT IN OUR TRASH CANS. All those years of reuse and Bam! land fill..

"We used to fight all the time when y'all were kids over your stepdad giving y'all Capri Sun. He didn't understand that it's not actually fruit juice. He'd say 'but it tastes like fruit, it must have fruit juice'!"

I don't give my kids that stuff, but I enjoy having the right to make that decision myself.

We have an area close by refered to as little Mexico. Some of the stores stock sodas/colas in our old returnable bottles. The factory must have purchased out dated machinery from the U.S. and set it up over in Mexico. Some of the bottles are antiques. Those things have been around the block a few times over. Shipped to America now, drank and RIGHT IN OUR TRASH CANS. All those years of reuse and Bam! land fill..

I don't know about Mexico but here in Europe we have stores that buy back the bottles for companies to wash and reuse. Might be the same there too.

Back
Top Bottom