EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

6D0E551E-0792-43F1-A829-35ECCC893F22.jpeg

Hey all! Just butting in to share a neat story, I also posted this in the broody thread.

Hello all! I just wanted to share a story with a happy ending here. I had a broody Black Sex Link, and after a couple of weeks, I decided to give her some fertile eggs to hatch.

One day I came home from work, and she was on the wrong nest, and the eggs were cold. So I plopped her back on, and when I candled the next day all was well. A few days later, it happened again! They were probably cold on day 12 and 16. Again, after she warmed them up, the ext day they seemed okay.

The other night, she was off the nest again and up on the roost. I put her on the nest and shut the door. The next day, she was off of the eggs, but thankfully, I was home from work and they were not completely cold. However, they were supposed to hatch that day, or the next.

I brought the eggs inside, let them come up to room temperature, and put them in the incubator. I didn’t have much hope. Yesterday, one popped out! And this morning, three more hatched as well. I am just amazed at these strong little guys!

I hope my story gives someone hope if they are hatching or have a broody hatching eggs. A cool down will not kill them, and even a few cool downs will stil yield some results. Also, 4 out of 10 eggs hatched. So not great, but amazing considering how cold they were a few times!

lol.. mine are over.. a half hour ago a guy loaded up the last 19!:wee:wee
We have only our 5 breeders and 5 meat boys!!!!!!
:wee:wee:wee
:bowGOD!
A month ago 50ish Roosters were crowing all together from 5 am to forever it seemed. Little by little sold off. Chipping away at that number SO SLOWLY..
No More cragslist callers for chickens...
VERY PLEASED RIGHT NOW.:ya
WOOOOOOOOW! Ouch.

I'm kinda ok on the rooster front, all are grown up and no fighting issues, but could do with fewer which would reduce the number of coops I need to maintain (some more jerky ones are on the hit list for after the holidays). My city came up with a new chicken ordinance recently which is REALLY reasonable (esp. compared to the previous one), and without a business license as a breeder I can have up to 50 chickens with a 10 to 1 ratio of hens to roosters (with a $25 permit per year - no permit needed for up to 8). No, I'm not in compliance, but I'm close, and fortunately, they are only enforcing it if there are nuisance complaints (e.g., like a barking dog complaint). I have a plan in my head if I had to suddenly comply - a number of boys would have to go. I've read the whole text of the ordinance, it's very appropriate re: housing requirements (down to roost space you have to provide per bird etc. - clearly focused on bird wellbeing), and a lot of it is targeted at thwarting potential cockfighting operations. (Local chicken people had a lot of input on it.)

Baby is almost 100%, still has some mucus but his doctor should say he's okay tomorrow. It sounds a lot worse after his saline rinse, I hope we can stop those tomorrow.

He was approved for his ESTA visa, so America is officially a go!!! We leave Tuesday morning, so tomorrow is last minute stuff like his one-month doctor appointment, finishing the packing, dyeing my babywearing jacket, cleaning up the apartment, and making sure we have all the formula we'll need for the trip. My mother in law will be coming by to help out, I'll be wearing the baby so I can get things done, and Husband will be out getting the formula and the dye.

Glad he continues on the mend - you have some busy holidays ahead of of you!!! I hope he does well during the travel. :fl:hugs

View attachment 1211685

Hey all! Just butting in to share a neat story, I also posted this in the broody thread.
(snip)

That's a great story - thanks for posting! A number of folks on this thread had issues last hatching season with incubators losing power and dropping in the final days, and the hatches were just fine (or oddly better, at least statistically) - Ralph was one as I recall, Dan another. A good lesson never to give up on them until it's all over... :clap

Long day today full of more chicken chores, but a good day in that it feels good to get stuff done. More to do, of course - there's always more to do. The only downside is that I have grading to do but am too worn out to focus on it. So I'm doing laundry and watching The Hunt for Red October and writing Christmas cards instead. :D

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom