EE? @7w - cockerel or pullet?

cityeggs

Songster
Oct 25, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I'm curious what your thoughts are for whether the gray and white chick is pullet or cockerel. It's hard for me to tell since we have 4 chicks - all different breeds (EE/A?, GLW, Red sex-linked, Australorp) and I'm new to all of this. Body shape and size, this one has always been very different (though, until recently, the GLW was keeping up body-size wise). It's hard to capture in the photos, but this one's head and neck are twice as wide as the other 3 (none of them particularly small breeds!), and legs have always been twice as thick (though i have read other descriptions of EE chicks with thick legs still being pullets). I was feeling better about thinking we may actually have 4 pullets after seeing rounded neck feathers on all 4, but realized that most sources say not to look at neck feathering until closer to 3 mo.

Also, I'm assuming that I should be referring to this chick as an EE, and not an Ameraucana, as it was advertised - is that correct? I looked at the articles here, and this chick initially seemed to check most of the boxes for Ameraucana - gray legs, pink feet as a chick (though some sources say white? I haven't checked recently to see if this has changed - I try to avoid those feet at all costs!), muff and beard (just starting coming in), couldn't tell comb initially but maybe someone else can tell by now, and the one I really wasn't sure of was color. Generally, chicken color names still confuse me (as do the comb types), and I haven't checked back at the standard Ameraucana colors since feathering out more - my guess is that this is not a standard Ameraucana color, so then EE?

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    788.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    885.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm curious what your thoughts are for whether the gray and white chick is pullet or cockerel. It's hard for me to tell since we have 4 chicks - all different breeds (EE/A?, GLW, Red sex-linked, Australorp) and I'm new to all of this. Body shape and size, this one has always been very different (though, until recently, the GLW was keeping up body-size wise). It's hard to capture in the photos, but this one's head and neck are twice as wide as the other 3 (none of them particularly small breeds!), and legs have always been twice as thick (though i have read other descriptions of EE chicks with thick legs still being pullets). I was feeling better about thinking we may actually have 4 pullets after seeing rounded neck feathers on all 4, but realized that most sources say not to look at neck feathering until closer to 3 mo.

Also, I'm assuming that I should be referring to this chick as an EE, and not an Ameraucana, as it was advertised - is that correct? I looked at the articles here, and this chick initially seemed to check most of the boxes for Ameraucana - gray legs, pink feet as a chick (though some sources say white? I haven't checked recently to see if this has changed - I try to avoid those feet at all costs!), muff and beard (just starting coming in), couldn't tell comb initially but maybe someone else can tell by now, and the one I really wasn't sure of was color. Generally, chicken color names still confuse me (as do the comb types), and I haven't checked back at the standard Ameraucana colors since feathering out more - my guess is that this is not a standard Ameraucana color, so then EE?
EE cockerel.

Yeah, I agree, EE cockerel. The comb is getting a pretty good red color for the age. He looks to have a pea comb which is also an Ameraucana trait, but the coloring is not correct and the legs look to have a green gray color which is common in EEs. He’s gonna be really handsome though!!
Thanks for the explanation. I kept thinking the legs were just dirty and that's why the greenish tint, but now that you point it out, that doesn't really make sense 😆.

Back
Top Bottom