EE ~8 wks- Gender help, please :-)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Libchicks, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Libchicks

Libchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi all!

I've been making my way through the EE sexing tips and braggers threads and am still pretty unsure on my EE, who is around 8 weeks. I'm hoping for a pullet, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. She/he is at the very bottom of the pecking order, being the smallest, but is pretty friendly to me. Legs and stance don't scream roo to me, but the red on the shoulder area is making me wonder. I did see a couple pullets in the braggers thread with similar coloring, which is why I'm really confused. The comb is a bit pink for 8 weeks, but the EE hen I got last summer also got pink early. Tail feathers are a bit difficult to tell, since she or he keeps getting picked on by the larger birds. Any help would be really appreciated!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I left out any other information, or different pictures would help, please let me know [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Looks like a cockerel to me.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:x2

4. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    That is a cockerel

5. Libchicks

Oct 27, 2010
    Blast. That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input! Now I just have to hope the breeder isn't out of EEs. I should have used better chicken math when I picked this one up! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

x3

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ditto on the cockerel vote. He's going to be gorgeous when he's fully feathered!

8. Libchicks

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Pele- I think so too! I am going to keep him unless he turns out to be a jerk. So far, he's a total sweetie.

9. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    My cockerel is just a week younger and has a similar comb to that. Just started getting some slight signs of saddle feathers too- And mine ties to take on my clearly visible SLW roo- so I know it is a roo...

I vote Roo! But wowza- a pretty one!

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    That's a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by