EE/Ameraucana x Pearl Leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kansaseq, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I want to breed a bird that lays lots of very blue eggs. I heard that crossing with a leghorn (or any white egg layer) will help preserve the blue, but will it also make it paler?
    Would I need to cross a blue egger to the leghorn or laying ability, then start crossing back to blue eggers to darken the blue??

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    It will probably make it a bit lighter. Usually if you're wanting traits from outside breeds it's best to stick with birds that lay blue or tinted eggs since it won't muddle things into a green color.

Even if it does make them somewhat more pale, you'll have to be selecting the darkest eggs, anyway. Creating a bird based on traits you specifically want can take years and years. But it's a whole lot of fun and definitely worth it in the end.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Cool. Thanks, Omniskies. Kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    A friend of mine bought some of my Amercuanas who lays light blue eggs and she crossed them with her Leghorn pullets and got white offsprings that laid light blue to light tint grey eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by