EE/Araucana cross... question about lethal factor

fanov8

Songster
11 Years
May 17, 2010
East TN
I don't know if this is in the right spot or not. If not, please let me know where to move it too
wink.png

I was given 30 eggs. The mothers were all EE's and the father was a Araucana. He is rumpless and only has 1 tuft. I have read that the tufted Araucana carry a lethal gene. Could this be the case that I will have with this hatch? I was hoping that since the mothers were all EE's and not Araucana's (especially tufted) that we might have some luck. Can anyone give me any info on this? I candled the eggs last night on day 6 and had veining in the eggs that I could see through, however some eggs were too dark. I just worried that these little guys will get to day 18 and the lethal gene will get them. Has anyone else tried this same type of hatch? Thanks for any info!

You may get a better responses if you post in the genetics part of the forum but my understanding is that its only lethal if both parents carry the gene. I think its linked to the tailless gene. Maybe someone more in the know will respond.

Thanks! I will try posting over there too. I was thinking that it would have to be 2 copies of the gene but wasn't really sure. They were free eggs so I just tossed them in the 'bator!
lol.png
Hopefully they will hatch and I'll be able to report back on the 28th
wink.png

The lethal gene only has to do with the tufts. Any chick that inherits two copies of the gene ( 1 from the roo and 1 from the hen) will die in the shell before it hatches. It has nothing to do with being rumpless. Tufted chicks can be more delicate than non tufted chicks. You should be fine.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom