EE: Are we? And sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlepeeps, Aug 14, 2010.

1. littlepeeps

littlepeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    London
    My 'ladies' are EE's (I beleive). I bought 10, but 4 showed early Roo'ness, so I am down to 6. How do you actually tell a Roo from a hen? I know people have posted many pictures, but with the huge differences in EE's, what do you look for?

If I can keep this 'Guy' I would, very friendly, and keeps everyone in check (ie out of the garden!)
    [​IMG]

I am hoping that this lady just likes her Red. I have 2 that look like her:
    [​IMG]

I have 2 Black EE's (?) One is Red in the face:
    [​IMG]

And one not so much (sorry, poor pic):
    [​IMG]

And this one, who had no red in her face at all:
    [​IMG]

Are they EE's? Or something else? Sexes? Guesses? We are 'illegals' and going away for a week. Our neighbours will be checking in on them and I don't want any crowing while I am gone.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

None of those are EE's sorry. But to me the red and brown ones look to be Wellsummers!!!! Which lay a dark chocolatey egg!! No idea on blacks except pretty sure they are mutts [​IMG] gorgeous though I love the brown lacing! They look like they may be Wyndotte/Australop crosses or something maybe.

All look to be girls except that one black with the extra red on face - but she may just be a bit older? - if anyone's a rooster thats it. the welsummer looking ones are definately female to me

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    All are female, but I agree none are EEs.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

actually I take it back they can't be welsummer or atleast full welsummer as they have yellow legs. hm...no clue! lol but they got that partridgey pattern...

5. littlepeeps

May 25, 2010
    London
    Upon looking at chick pictures and comparing online, they do look like Welsummer chickens. But all the pics I saw, the Welsummers have yellow legs, what colour should they be?

Ok, I ordered Ameraucana, was informed that they were probably EE's. Now they are Welsummers? One the nice side, most agree that they are (mostly) females.

And the black ones are 'mutts' or unknown. Does anyone have an idea on the identity/cross of the black ones?

6. littlepeeps

May 25, 2010
    London
    The Welsummer people have answered all (or at least lessoned the amount of questions).

They are all females. They are 'beleived' to beWelsummer's, at least the 4 brown ones. The other 2 are 'beleived' to be Barnevelders. The proof will be when the first eggs are layed.

So I guess instead of expecting purple-blue-green eggs, I will be getting dark brown to tera cotta.

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by