EE bantam pullet with VERY swollen leg that is yellow/gold color

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyPetPeeps, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MyPetPeeps

MyPetPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2010
    I have lost a vaccinated Silver Sebright with typical Mareks paralysis progression and 3 other non vaccinated pullets, so I do know I have this virus. But now one of my vaccinated Ameraucana banty pullet was favoring a leg 4 weeks ago, which turned into limping the following day and then lame the next and then dead lame by the next day with foot coiled up and hopping on one foot to get around. I assumed the typical Mareks, as I have the virus here and have lost 4 already. I put her in a separate cage with her food and water in the coop. She never developed more symptoms or the paralysis like all the others, but remains dead lame and holds her foot up. She can still move the leg back and forth. Now the thigh and lower leg are very VERY swollen!!!! Some heat too. And the skin is very golden yellow and there are some circular balding spots, some crust-like light, circular scabs that peel off.. HELP! Any ideas on what this could be?? It is not a broken bone as the onslaught developed over several days. Her appetite is still good. This is very similar to a pullet last year that started to get thin so I brought her into the house and nursed her, gave her antibiotics and she just wasted away BUT her tail had a large lump that continued to get larger. We dissected the tail lump to find a bright yellow mass. Tumor<?> Mareks? The skin and feathers look very similar to this EE banty's leg, bright gold/yellow with circular bald spots.
    DOES ANYONE HAVE A KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT I AM DEALING WITH?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Sounds like an infection in there [​IMG]

I have not had to deal with the dreaded "M" so am no help - sorry.

Hopefully someone with more experience will see this and be able to help.

3. MyPetPeeps

MyPetPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2010
    I have started her on Amoxicillin, but it seems more swollen today. I think it is most likely related to Mareks. SO sad. I have lost one vaccinated pullet, a Silver Sebright, in her group of 16 from Mareks with all the typical paralysis and splayed legs. Thank you for the reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by