1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE + BO=what color eggs will the resulting offspring lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arztwolf, Sep 8, 2016.

  1. Arztwolf

    Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    474
    17
    116
    Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I have a nice EE cockerel I'm thinking of breeding with a BO when they are both old enough.

    What color eggs will the offspring lay? Will the BOs genes take over and they'll lay brown?
     
  2. junebuggena

    junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

    20,236
    3,343
    401
    Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    There are only two possibilities for egg shell color, white or blue. Blue is dominant over white. Brown eggs are caused by a 'coating' applied to the eggshell. Green eggs are the same brown coating, but applied over a blue shell. The coating genes are very complex and inherit completely separately from the eggshell genes.
    Your cross may produce green, blue, or brown layers, depending on what the rooster is carrying. No way to know until you breed him and grow out his chicks.
     
    1 person likes this.
  3. Arztwolf

    Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    474
    17
    116
    Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Thank you.
     
  4. EggSighted4Life

    EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

    Hi, saw your cockerel a moment ago.

    I always wonder which traits pass on according to which breed is the male verses female. For example if you cross BR with RR you get sex link but only with the correct one being the roo (not sure which).

    However, if you were lucky you might get on OE with the cross you are asking about. But the real challenge is that (what I read) is EE only have an 80% chance of laying a tinted egg. Which leaves 20% brown.

    Honestly, I wouldn't breed hatchery chicks! They just don't have good genetics. Are you going to eat them? Doubt if mixes that are straight run would be in high demand when you have no control over egg color, laying ability, or carcass size.

    I believe @junebuggena breeds EE. So maybe way more knowledgable in this area than me.

    That being said, I'm sure we can all enjoy breeding projects. [​IMG]

    Best wishes!
     
  5. Arztwolf

    Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    474
    17
    116
    Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    The breeding will only happen if Mama BO, aka the one who rolled her eyes at him, broods them till they hatch. I've yet to have any problem with stock from Ideal. All have been healthy and happy, two are nearly three years old and going strong.
     
  6. donrae

    donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

    31,452
    3,522
    538
    Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Or, you could have him in with that cute Faverolles hen in your avatar, if she's available. When that Orp goes broody, put the Faverolles' eggs under her. The EE/Faverolles cross is pretty popular, and they're pretty stinking cute. You get the beard and muffs, feathered feet, white skin,fluffy feathering, and the fifth toe is usually dominant. If he's pure for blue egg gene, the offspring should lay shades of green or greenish-blue. Might get some cream or light brown, if he's not pure.

    Not that I'm an enabler or anything [​IMG]
     
  7. Arztwolf

    Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    474
    17
    116
    Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Those do sound cute. You are totally an enabler! [​IMG]

    Just noticed your in Oregon, I'm moving to Portland in six years![​IMG]
     
  8. EggSighted4Life

    EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

    I didn't actually mean their health, but more their physical traits not conforming to standards. For example, Barred Rock should not have black beaks and EE are not Ameraucana. Some disclose EE & others insist Am even thought they don't meet specific characteristics of that breed other than having a pea comb, beard, & muffs. One more example is that out of my 2 GLW, 1 has a black, possibly cushion comb and the other has a straight comb. They are supposed to have rose combs. It's possible the one I think is cushion may still be developing into a rose. [​IMG]

    All of my egg layers are hatchery stock. I have never had any health problems with them. And 1 BR hatched and raised a clutch. I don't know which hatchery my LFS used, but the 3 BR I have right now have black beaks. No worries if you don't have a specific goal in mind.

    6 years is a ways off. But it's awesome that you have something to work towards. We worked hard to move up this way, took several years as well. But I love the PNW! It is so beautiful. [​IMG] Good luck on your move!

    @donrae You are totally an enabler..... And I have both those breeds! [​IMG] Does sound cute! [​IMG]
    I am at the coast on the CA/OR boarder. Not sure how the feathered feet fair in the rain??
     
  9. EggSighted4Life

    EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

    Ok, so while I was looking at pics of sprigs on combs, I discovered there are 2 types of rose comb. Spiked and not. So the one I was thinking is a cushion is probably the non spiked one. [​IMG]

    I always try to report the good as well as not being ashamed to admit I was mistaken. [​IMG]
     
    1 person likes this.
  10. Arztwolf

    Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    474
    17
    116
    Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    The wet is one of my concerns. I'm in TX, 500 miles from the Mexican border, so this will be a big change.
    What are GLWs like?
    Thats okay.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by