ee boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snazzyboots, May 4, 2011.

1. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i know it is early but just want some feed back please. this is my almost 4 week old ee. i'm hoping hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i know you may not be able to tell for sure this early but any thoughts are appreciated. thanks

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Girl? [​IMG]

3. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I hope yours is a girl because I have one that looks just like it!

4. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks hennish so far, but sometimes EEs will fool you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she is indeed a girl!

5. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Do all birds, male or female, get all their feathers at the same rate? I have a bird, which i think is about 3 or 4 weeks old, but your bird has more feathers than mine.

6. nelli21

nelli21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Looks pretty definitely like a girl to me.

And to answer a question- the feathers come in differently for the pullets than the cockerels. Pullet feathers come in faster than a cockerel. The cockerel's comb and wattle will develop faster than the pullet's, and will darken faster too.

I hope that helps you!

The best way to know and learn is to compare your bird to others of the same age.

Nelli

7. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    that does help. thanks. also, do all EE have dark legs? I have no idea what breed or sex of chick i have. I know the legs are not dark, but the beak is starting to get a darkish tint to it. this is about 2 or 3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

8. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

While a lot of EEs do have green legs, I've seen a couple of exceptions to the rule. What kind of comb does that little one have? (I can't quite tell from here.) If it's a pea comb, you likely have an EE. If it's a straight comb, though, then it's hard to say. There is a single-comb Brown Leghorn that has markings something like that.

9. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    Quote:she feathered faster than most. there were two that were on the same track but the ones i think are boys were really slow. i'm really curious to see if that stays true.

10. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    She's going to be a very pretty girl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by