EE chick colors

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suburbanoutlawchick, Aug 20, 2011.

1. suburbanoutlawchick

suburbanoutlawchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    We just received our first 6 EE chickies this morning and I am totally in love! They are all uniquely marked so I can easily tell them apart. 1 is all yellow, 1 is all yellow but with a black spot on its head, and 4 are varying shades of chipmunk (red, blue/gray, dark tan, and light tan). Any ideas about what they'll look like when they feather out? Can someone explain how I can post pics of them? I want to share their cuteness [​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Upload them to a site such as photobucket. [​IMG]

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Can't wait to see your pictures! I'll be getting some EE chicks in a few weeks!

4. suburbanoutlawchick

Jul 18, 2011
    the 4 chipmunks
    [​IMG]

this one's down looks a bit blue perhaps?
    [​IMG]

the red chipmunk with the yellows
    [​IMG]

the yellow with the black dot - we call her Dottie, she's the friendliest :)
    [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's one in there with really, really bold stripes on its back (first photo, top right) - That one will either be a Silver Duckwing or a Gold Duckwing. (look em up [​IMG] )

There's one with lighter striped markings (first photo, bottom left) It will likely be a Gold Duckwing male with other genes, possibly Columbian or Dominant White. He'll look like the common EE rooster. (red shoulders, yellow neck, black or white chest)

The brown one on the right in the first pic will probably be a typical brown and black or brown and blue EE pullet.

The yellowish white ones will probably grow up mostly white or mostly splash in color with hints of brown or red.

But do NOT take my word for it. I'm definitely sure about the color of the striped ones and the light ones but not about sex. Not yet at least [​IMG]

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Illia, I wouldn't be so sure on that light chipmunk. This is an age progression for my Hazel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have a current pic of her uploaded yet but her color has lightened a little bit and her black markings are more defined V shapes.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Like I said, don't take my full word for it. [​IMG] EE chick colors are truly unpredictable, but one thing I know is absolutely certain - A striped one will turn out a duckwing based color. (no matter the gender or other genes in there)

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Is Hazel a duckwing? I can see it in my other former chipmunk but I didn't think the coppery body with black Vs down the back and around the neck was a duckwing-based pattern.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, but she probably carries Columbian restrictor too, a common EE trait, which is why she doesn't look as colorful as pure duckwings. (lack of gold and black tickled neck, etc)

10. suburbanoutlawchick

Jul 18, 2011
    Thanks so much! I can't wait to see how they feather out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by