EE chick with cross bill (beak)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darbella, Sep 2, 2009.

1. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I hatched out an EE chick and the other day noticed the beak had started to cross, looking at it today it is crossing more. What are the chances of survival or is there a way to correct this? As of now, it is 2 weeks old and is eating and drinking fine, but if it will eventually get worse and inhibit eating, i dont want it to be older and then I will have a harder time making a decision. is there a way to fix this??? Or should I have her culled? (I cant do this myself) I will probably have the vet do it.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You can try trimming the beak, sometimes that helps. Make sure she/he has a deep dish for food. It will be much easier to eat that way.

3. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was thinking if I filed it, then someone had suggested lightly taping it for short periods of time while keeping an eye on it. Just a piece of tape to one side to "pull" it over would probably do the trick with out taping all across and under the bill. She/he is just so adorable with the big black eyes that I want to give it a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by