EE Chickens 24 weeks Old no eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by claychickens, Sep 16, 2010.

1. claychickens

claychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Clay Alabama
    I can't believe these EE's are still holding out. Is this the norm?

2. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    I had 5 EE's, and the 3 started laying around 20 weeks. A 4th started around 25 or 26 weeks, and I still have 1 holdout. I figure they are 29 weeks old today. Ginger is my hold out, but I have noticed that her comb has started to grow and darken in the last two weeks. She has a dark brown beard and muffs that are also starting to lighten and take on more gold/grey. This happened with her sister a few weeks before she started to lay, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

This is my first time with chickens, but I have read that the EE's can be late bloomers. I have 42 birds, and Ginger is the ONLY 1 not laying.

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Don't feel bad - everybody told me it was the norm when I was stressing over eggs at 18 weeks and mine held out until 24 weeks - which was this week and then BAM!!!! On Monday I got my first GREEN EGG and ANOTHER ONE came on Wednesday! PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER! I will think green and blue thoughts for you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And soon I know you too shall one as beautiful as ours [​IMG]

4. joemwm

joemwm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    yes EE's are not early layers I have 5 at 23 weeks two have just started {3 eggs} one the comb it's not even start changing yet still small and pale so that one is still a while off. others on this site have said 25 weeks before their's started too lay

5. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Yep I have 3 EE's (one is our Alpha roo) but one started at 24 wks and the other is still waiting (26 wks). We get a lt blue egg from the one and are hoping for green from the hold out.

Darn chicken butts!!! [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I'm sure they're close. My EEs started laying around that age. Hang in there, it's worth the wait!!

7. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Mine were late layers too. My most beautiful hen is still stingy and if something happens in the coop, she quits for awhile. We processed the young cockerells a week and a half ago. I'm getting 1-2 grn eggs a day. Should be getting about 4. Oh well, I'll still keep them. I've wanted colored eggs since I had a 3rd grade field trip to my teacher's farm and her hens layed colored eggs. I just love em. [​IMG]

8. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    I was excited when we got our first egg, a nice brown egg from a sex link at 16 weeks, but that couldn't compare to getting the first green egg. I was beside myself with excitement over that green egg. Of the 4 laying EE's, two are a pale mint green, one a shade darker and 1 teal-ish egg. When I give the eggs to people, they usually are unbelievably excited to have 1 or 2 greens in the carton. I can't wait to see what my Ginger will lay.

On a sad note I lost one of the EE's on Monday to a fox. She was a sweet little bird and will be sorely missed.

Here she is with my husband:

[​IMG]

9. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I have 3 that are 27 weeks and 5 that are 24 weeks. Only one of the older girls are laying. She started laying about 15 days ago but has been giving us one egg a day regularly. The other girls just aren't laying. I have noticed that the other two that are the same age are starting to take an interest in the nesting box so maybe soon? Hope you get your first egg soon!

10. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    one of mine took 30 weeks.

It takes Patience! Then you will be awarded for it! (eventually:))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by