EE chicks, boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolinasculpture, Jun 30, 2016.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Hatched out 4 chicks, 2 from an EE mom, 2 from a BSL mom; dad is an EE.
    I know they are young, but thought I had seen a thread about sexing EEs by color? Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts!
    [​IMG]
    Here is Dad.
    Ok, here are the 2 from the BSL. They are very similar, seem to have more standard EE chipmunk color when they hatched.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These next two are from the EE mom:
    1 - white
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 - brown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [IMG
    ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7484329/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am looking forward to your thoughts and any genetic generalities you may have. Thank you!

2. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Gonna say something to renew the post. I have no idea, I'd say it's too early to tell. Good luck.

3. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    I agree, too early to tell. Mine were about 8 weeks old before I knew for sure.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old are they?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can not sex Easter Eggers by coloring, unless you have the right combination of genetics. You parent birds do not have the right genes for sexlinked coloring. They are still too young. Try again when they are closer to 8 weeks old.

6. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks! It is just so hard to wait! Anyway, they are now a little over 3 months old. Today is their first day being able to run with the flock ( they still have access to their little coop and run, where the big girls can't follow them)! It seems that I managed to hatch out 4 females. I will try to gets pics later...they don't sit still so good! One is still completely white, one is white and black, really pretty, the other two are kinda normal EE female pattern/color with one having more patterned feathers than the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by