EE chicks when young?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quailbuddy, May 21, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I am getting first pick form my AG teachers hatch of 33. She has EE's , BR and Ameracaunas . . . .
    I OLNY want those breeds so how do i tell whose who in when there day olds ? There are about 5 different breeds . . . pictures would help alot thank you so much !

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Barred rocks are easy to tell apart cause of their black and white bars unless it is a white one but I am assuming these are black and white barred R chicks?

If thats the case then they will be black and white and you can see which one is the rooster as soon as any feathers come in the male will be grey while females are darker in color.
    Also female Barred Rocks have a dark line down their legs and the Male will not. Good luck [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Male legs
    [​IMG]

Female Legs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    A few tips and pictures [​IMG] First off I know nothing about true americauna's, so this is for the Barred Rocks and EE.

Barred Rocks: Day old black with pale under butt, can have white color on wing feathers, and pullets should have a distinctly cut white spot on the head. I think pullets also have the dark wash down the legs (when using all three sexing tools) like the picture before me.

Here are my BR at day old:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Easter Eggers are hard because they have such a varity, but mine came in the chipmunk coloring. Go for the DARKER markings (my lighter marked EE turned out to be a roo) Here are day old pictures of EE.

Cockerel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cockerel on right, pullet on left. (pullet is darker markings)
    [​IMG]

Pullet = orange/black and cockerel = whiteish on wings
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps at all! Enjoy them!

4. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    [​IMG] Thank You so much for the info ! For BR I will be sure to look for the white head and for EE's I will try to go for the darker chipmunk coloring [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Songster

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    my ee's had puffy cheeks and green and gray legs.. they looked mostly like chipmunks in coloring..

[​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    The boy Barred Rocks have the white on the head too, but keeping the leg color in mind the pullet's spot should be clean cut and distinct. The boy's spot will be more splotchy and erratic. Look for dark wash on front of legs, and for the life of me I can't remember the third thing. Google "Sexing Barred Rock Chicks" and it should come up with the 3 things to look for. To get the higher rate all three must apply.

7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Songster

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I think my one and only BR is a male, 8 weeks old and still has all yellow legs. Starting to get red crown and red beard. But he also did not look like your baby chicks. He had more of a brown than the white, but I got him probably at about 5-6 days old from a feed store selling "staight run".

Any opinions there?

Anyone know similiar info for Buff orpingon and RIR as you posted here for the BR?

thanks,

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Well from the Barred Rocks I have owned, the pullets usually start getting red in their combs at around 6-7 weeks old. But mine never got real red/big wattles.

I know BR pullets are darker then cockerels, the boys tend to be more grey while the girls are clean cut barring. The dark wash on the legs is important, but unless matched with the head spot.. And one other thing I can't remember.

ryanhodapp: I would make a post and put pictures in it of your chick in question. There is a "What breed or gender?" thread, that's what I would do. There are many Barred Rock experts on BYC, luckily, so maybe somebody can answer your question a little better.

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Don't just go by the marking on your EE's and hope that the darker ones are girls. I have 6 EE's. Three are very, very light in color, three are very dark and they are ALL pullets. (Well, one is a year old, so she is a hen).

Also, if they are hatched eggs, they may not be chipmunk colored at all. They can be ANY color and be an EE. Most chipmunk colored ones are from hatcheries. I have 2 bantam EE's. One is white and one is lavendar.

Hope this helps!

10. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Songster

Feb 18, 2010
    On the EE's, the puffy cheeks is a fairly good way to tell. Some do get the puffs later, and some don't ever get it, but most of mine had puffs when they were little. They also(usually) have green or slate legs. They also have a chipmunk pattern to them. Some might be very dark, others might be very light..but most of ours had that pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: