EE chicks with GREEN LEGS...Questions??***PICS***

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by msgenie516, Apr 5, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I bought 7 chicks 9 days ago, all pullets. They are 4 EE's, 2 BR's, and one BO. It wasn't very noticeable when I got them, but the EE's are all developing moss green legs. The color is getting quite intense and I was wondering if there is any significance to it or if it shows what the egg color will be. I have two other chickens that lay green eggs and I always thought they were EE's, but they don't have green legs. This is a picture of my new babies when I had them for a couple of days.

[​IMG]

You can see the color starting to develop in two of them (all of them have it) but it has become much more noticeable.

This is a picture of one of the girls that I already had that lays green eggs. She doesn't have green legs. I would call them more of a gray/black.

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! [​IMG] Genie

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    I think EE legs range from green to slate and i don't think they'll lay a different color egg, but then again, I'm no expert [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Beautiful pullet!

4. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    wow! I have a EE hen that looks just like that. Mine isn't really barred as much though. But they are very similar. lol

EE's legs can be just about any color between green-black I believe.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    there isn't a standard.....they come in all colors [​IMG]
    enjoy your chicks [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No standard at all for an EE. Many have green legs and it has no correlation to egg color. Enjoy them!

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Of my 5 EEs (from MMM) they all have green legs. Two lay lovely green-blue eggs, and three lay green eggs of various intensities. All of the eggs, even the blue ones, are a tiny bit greener than the ones my Ameraucanas lay.

Now that they're into their second year, one of them has started to lay an INCREDIBLE deep green egg--kind of the color of avocado appliances from the 70's. Last year all the green eggs were pale green.

I now have 5 EEs from Meyer in my brooder. I'm soooo impatient to find out what they will look like and what color egg they'll lay. I love the surprise factor with EEs. Just like Christmas.

You're going to have so much fun once they start to lay. [​IMG]

8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    Alberta
    All of my Ameraucanas have green or blue legs. That is normal for that breed. Nice photo!

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    cowsgomoo: Lest the Ameraucana police come knocking at your door--

I'm pretty sure that green legs are a disqualification for Ameraucanas. They must be slate colored. If I'm wrong, I expect someone will set me straight.

EEs can be whatever color happens from the cross, since there is no breed standard.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ameraucanas do not have green legs, they have slate legs. Green legs indicate an Easter Egger. Both are fun birds, but there is no standard for EEs, yet there is a very strict one for Ameraucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by