1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KaityRoseChicks, Apr 11, 2016.

1. KaityRoseChicks

KaityRoseChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Louisiana
    My chicks are 4 weeks old and we've determined I have one rooster (it's crowed many times now) and a possible second rooster and even a third. At this point 3 of my 8 chicks are roosters but more than likely there's more. They're Americana mixes(EE). If I have to get more chicks how can I sex them for pullets at a day old? I'm really bummed that I won't be getting the number of hens I need and don't want to get extra roosters if possible. I'm willing to get sex links from tractor supply if I don't have enough hens but my mom says she wouldn't want to do that. Everywhere she's read said its bad. Help!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A couple of things -- did you purchase your chicks as sexed or straight run? Where did you purchase them from? If you are wanting to buy day old chicks you will either need to purchase sex linked birds (you can get sex links in several varieties, including easter egger as long as you have a breeder who knows what they are doing and is creating them properly), chicks of an auto sexing breed or chicks that have been properly vent sexed (still a 5-15% error rate even with experienced sexers on that). If you want definite females you need to either do the aforementioned or purchase started birds that are already of an age to be reliably sexed.
    As for purchasing from TSC, etc -- there is no reason not to purchase from them. What bad things has your mother said she has heard? It is no more or less risky than purchasing from elsewhere - IF one does their due diligence and makes sure to educate themselves beforehand (as you should no matter where you are getting your birds) to be able to save themselves from the negative outcomes that could occur.

3. KaityRoseChicks

KaityRoseChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Louisiana
    They were straight run basically. They're family friends so they led me to their brooder and told me to pick away. They're more so chicks from a backyard flock that happens to lay colored eggs. Anywhere from cream to bronze to green. I'm not sure where she read her stuff from but I sent her a link on introducing new birds and stuff from the mypetchicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by