EE Cockeral feathering question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by momofthree, Aug 24, 2010.

1. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    I have a 17-18 week old EE cockeral who i think is pretty [​IMG] but i want to know when he will be completely feathered out in his "grown up" colors with the larger Roo tail? he is just now starting to once in a while mount one or two of my pullets. Here is a pic of him, he is in the middle with one of my EE pullets on the left and my only laying hen... a production red on the right.....also, anybody with some good names? he is not named yet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

In about a month - yours are about the same age mine are and yeah I'm getting kinda tired of the short little tail thing all the boys have going on - lol. But I remember my last EE roo didn't get his tail filled out till about 6 months (24ish weeks) Your boy is very handsome by the way!

ETA: those tail feathers that are in now should be his maturing feathers (if he's on the same maturing path as mine are) - you'll start noticing them growing and filling over the next few weeks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    Cool Thanks! i was wondering because those orangy saddle feathers just showed up last week [​IMG]

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    At least yours has tail feathers. My EE cockerel looks like a weird looking ostrich.

5. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I would like to ask you where you got your EEs they are very pretty colors.

6. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    there is a lady in my town who raises them. She was getting ready to go on vacation and this was her last hatch and i got them for 50 cents a piece [​IMG] she also raises exotics and peafowl. She has a website if you want it

7. echip

echip Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    I have a little EE chick that seems like he will grow into those colors. He's my prettiest little guy and at 5 weeks he was the first to crow. He needed a special name so I called him Sunrise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by