1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE cockerel has ear tufts like Einstein! (pic)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happychickmom, Oct 13, 2009.

1. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Yesterday I noticed that my 6-week-old cockerel, Sam, has ear tufts like Einstein.[​IMG] I did some research and found that this is an Auracana trait.

I hatched Sam and his 5 siblings from eggs in which both parents were EE. The other 5 chicks do not show this trait. They all had the same roo dad, but some moms may have been different. I have not seen the parents, so I don't know if any of them have it. Will have to ask the breeder.

I have had EE's in past years, but none ever had these ear tufts - usually just muffs. Is it common in EE's?

[​IMG]

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    haha thats too cute

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Einstein has ear tufts??????????????????

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    One of my blue roosters has the ear tufts. He is rather odd looking but I like him. [​IMG]

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    He looks like a little owl cross. I like the look. If you breed him I wouldn't mind some eggs.
    He is too cute. Post pics when he's mature, please. I bet he'll be a head turner.

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    he reminds me of grandpa off of the munsters

7. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Thanks for your replies. The Munsters comment made me laugh out loud, while I was drinking coffee.[​IMG]

I contacted the breeder, and she said that the roo and some of the hens have these tufts. So I guess that is my answer.

I'll try to remember when he's mature to post pics. I do plan on keeping all of the EE's. I think I have 2 boys and 4 girls. That would be a good mix to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by