EE color sexable?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allmychickens, Aug 23, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I keep hearing that EEs are color sexable but what color means what?

2. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Quote:I've seen this posted a lot lately too, but such a vague statement is not entirely true. I think what those posters are referring to is that young EEs with red patches coming in on the wing/back/shoulder area are almost certainly cockerels. This is often seen on the black and white patterned hatchery EEs in particular. Absence of red does not guarantee pullets, however.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
  4. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I have a silver and red EEer and when I first asked if he could be a roo- people told me most likely no because he is silver- but if he was a roo he would be beautiful one!!!

Well here is my fella at 15 weeks!

[​IMG]

So, as true as the theory may be, there are exceptions to all rules!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If you make your own EEs they can be color sexable. I made sex-links with a cuckoo marans hen and lavender ameraucana roo. I also use wheaten-based birds alot, which grow to be different colors. I can sex them at about 2-3 weeks.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:As a general rule, the plain brownish ones are hens and the more colorful, splashier ones are roosters. Red on the wing/shoulder is a sign of a roo. A blondish/gold that gets lighter toward the tail is a hen. Check out the ee braggers thread, when you look at enough pics after a while you get an eye for it. I have to say, the black and white ones are still hard for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by