1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE color to determine gender masters, I have a question (pic added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by debid, May 9, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My cream-colored EE started getting some peachy tones in her back feathers (chest is cream like the wings). I wasn't worried until I noticed spots of dark red coming in on her back. So dark, I mistook it for blood at first.

Is this a bad sign for my girl?

And, FWIW, all of you have made me supremely paranoid about my sexed pullets being boys in disguise so you have only yourselves to blame if I ask about every.single.chick at some point or another. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Nobody? I thought that it was supposed to be easy to tell with EEs.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Post a picture it will be easier to tell from a picture here is a picture of my bantam EE hen she has black, tan and red on her back
    [​IMG]

4. plantmgr

plantmgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Quote:A bad sign for what?

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:A picture is worth a thousand words! I get super paranoid as well! I would suspect a cockerel because of what you are describing, but without a picture...

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have had some light colored EEs start leaking a rust color in their wing feathers as they have aged. It's just feather genetics. No harm to them. [​IMG]

To sex EE chicks look at the comb. Most times the boys will have three ridges across while the girls have no ridges or only one ridge. Those male combs will pop up pretty early while the females take longer.

Good luck!

7. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:That she's not a she, of course!

She's not cooperating for photos but if red splotches on the shoulders and upper back doesn't mean anything, then it really won't help to take pictures of it.

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    How old is she? If she's still a very young bird and not in full adult plumage, then the red could be a sign of a roo. Pics! We need pics!! [​IMG]

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oooohhh... I get it now. Does the rust leaking through indicate roo? Hmmm... can't say for sure, but now that I think about it every single light chick I have had that started leaking red turned out to be a roo. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes, it can. Especially if in the wing bow area.

debid......can you post a picture of her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by