EE coloring, no beard

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hfrink, Sep 1, 2014.

1. hfrink

hfrink New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    I can't figure this one out. Came from Murray McMurray. Has the same coloring as my EE, but lacking the beard. Help me out, please![​IMG]

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine

There's no breed standard for EE's because they are a mix to begin with that are carrying the blue egg laying gene. They can have muffs/tufts or be clean-faced and they can lay any color egg. That's half the fun of having EE's. .. you won't know their color until they begin to lay. The shade will fade as they age but the color will never change.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. hfrink

hfrink New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    So you think another EE? She's so much smaller than the other.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The picture isn't that clear - is that a single comb coming in? If so, I'd be leaning Light Brown Leghorn or Welsummer - which would depend on ear lobe color for now or egg color when that time comes.

5. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    The hatchery could have made a mistake but her size would depend on what she's a mix of and/or she's getting enough to eat. Can you get clear photos of her and your other ee? Faces and tail feathers of each. Also, if she's at the bottom of the pecking order, to be sure she's getting enough to eat, you may want to place additional feeders in case she's being chased away.

6. hfrink

hfrink New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    I ordered rainbow layers, so they are all a mystery to me! Here is my bearded EE. [​IMG]

Here is hopefully some better shots of the small one. They don't care for me. Very skittish! And my cell phone is all I have at the moment. They do get some free ranging time each day as well. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I agree. She has yellow legs. EEs tend to have green legs. It seems she has a light build, if you say she is smaller than the rest. That would make me lean towards Leghorn.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Looks like a light brown Leghorn pullet.

9. hfrink

hfrink New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    I'm thinking the white ones are white leghorns...yellow legs, all white.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yep - when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras -- the leg color, clean face and single comb all fit LBL/Welsummer and do not fit EE. While it is true that EE come in all sorts of configurations due to being mixed breed birds, it makes more sense to consider breeds for which this bird does show characteristics.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by