EE coloring

Since Easter Eggers are crossbred, there's no actual names for the colors, just labels you can put on them for their closest similarities. Such examples are this girl here, who is the most common EE color, I usually call wildtype BBR/partridge, as she's got some pencilling in her, but she's also just naturally the color of the original Quechua that Easter Eggers came from.

4425278954_edc76f92e9_z.jpg

The thing to do, if you're really curious, is post some photos and wait for genetics experts to answer. Some are a little tricky to label, but most EE colors are pretty common and easy, especially in males.

For example, this colorful guy is simply a golden duckwing with dominant white.

4425278956_53a781082d_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have one EE who looks EXACTLY like a red/brown true ameraucana except that she has green/slate legs, so she is technically an EE according to BYC standards. She lays a pretty light blue egg with a slight "aqua" tint to it.

I have another EE who is black and gold and lays a pretty mint-green egg. She's mostly black with gold mottling & is a very pretty bird.

Quote:
An Easter Egger to APA standards, not just BYC.
wink.png

Also, green and slate are two different things.

The mottling you're asking about is the dominant white leaking through. The black, gold, and red are a part of the duckwing coloration.

I guess it depends on who you ask.

If I ask anyone on BYC, I am told ameraucanas with green legs are not true ameraucanas.

If I ask anyone on any other chicken forum I'm on, I get told differently, that leg color has nothing to do with it.

If I ask the woman who owns the local feed store and has been showing her green-legged ameraucanas for 15 years (and winning prizes left and right with them, has a whole wall of ribbons and awards for her ameraucanas), she said that has never heard of such a thing and that she and her kids have been showing and winning prizes with their ameraucanas for years regardless of leg colors.

So like I said, it all depends on who you ask.
smile.png
(No, I'm not trying to start an argument... I am sure your information is correct... I am just saying, other people have different information.)

I think it's this type of conflicting information on the internet that makes people crazy. LOL!

Sure.
smile.png
But, the thing you've gotta ask the feedstore lady is, are any of those shows APA sanctioned? 4H shows and county fairs are known to allow Easter Eggers, often judges say because it would be "unfair to DQ so many birds," and at other times because they don't do it for a serious affect, but for the fun of it.

The problem is that hatcheries tell feedstores and customers they're true to type and purebred, so of course the customers and feedstores believe it. I am in luck to live in a county that has a 4H leady who realizes Easter Eggers are not real Ameraucanas.

If you look at the Ameraucana Breeders Club, it says slate legs, and even talks about the differences. If you look at the American Standard of Perfection, it even says slate legs, and DQ's birds with green legs.

I think people who disagree are just people who don't want to change or research.
wink.png

Here are my two 6 week old lavender bantam EEs. Francis Bean and Jasmine.
The girl I got them from thought she bought Ameraucana eggs but the comb is definitely NOT a rose comb on the roo. And the Ameraucanas have to have a rose comb, right?
idunno.gif

51942_1291059403114.jpg

51942_1291059343112.jpg

You're talking pea comb, not rose comb.
wink.png

The male with the single comb is probably like that because A) the breeder isn't very good at working with Lavenders or B) it is still a work in progress. Lavender Ameraucanas got their color from another breed, quite likely a single-combed white egg layer.

Does the pullet also have a single comb or a pea comb?

What color earlobes does the cockerel have?

Quote:
Agreed. Hands down from experience.

I did a ton of research on Ameraucanas and decided to buy from a local breeder. They breed a ton of different birds and win all sorts of awards. I remember asking her if her Ameraucanas are true Ameraucanas, or Easter Eggers/ "Americanas" with an I, and she looked at me like I had two heads. I ended up buying 9 chicks anyway (day old). All of them turned out to be EEs.
sad.png
This is still a relatively new breed to most. 4-H and County Fairs are just not the same as APA sanctioned shows. Feedstores and hatcheries are the WORST for knowing the real thing from a mix. If you see the word EE/Americana/Araucana together...you bet your butt it is a mix breed that likely lays a blue egg. Also, feedstores get their birds from hatcheries...so even though your feedstore owner might be knowledgeable and helpful, it doesn't make her correct on the breed. We go to 4 different feed stores (rural area and all!) and each one is the same...not once have I had a conversation with anyone who knows the difference in EE's and Ameraucanas. From the owners to the workers, and I'm slowly trying to teach them the difference!

Out of the first 9 EEs I bought 7 were roos! They were HUGE and not to type/color. I decided to buy the real thing from John Blehm. I tried telling the local breeder they were breeding EE's and not true Ameraucanas...it fell on deaf ears. After all, I'm new to the chicken world and they've been doing this for 25 plus years...breeding Ameraucanas for 7 or 8 years, and WINNING awards for their actual EE's...at county fairs and state fairs! Maybe someone else will enlighten them someday.

Short story LONG...I now have several colors of the real deal, and several EE's. I love them equally, but clearly learned the difference. The ameraucana.org website is a great reference for color and type.

And to kickinchicken...Ameraucanas have a pea comb. You have some beautiful lil' lav bantams.

Back
Top Bottom