EE colour question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluck42, Jan 12, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Hey guys,

I have some EE eggs in the bator, and I'm just wondering if the babies will come out looking like their moms or if there will be some variety? Might be a stupid question, I just really don't know how genetics work with these guys. What kind of EE are my girls anyways? They are supposed to be Ameraucaunas but I don't have any way of finding out if they are purebreds.

Here are a few pics of the EE rooster and his two ladies. I need to get a pic that does him justice, he is GORGEOUS!! In fact, I need better pics in general. The EE's are shy, and I can never get good pics of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is really no set color name for EE patterns. Your male does have some Columbian type color going on, similar to Brahmas, though. He's very handsome.

**edited to add: Some EEs can be white or black, though, so naturally, you can call them white or black. Most EEs have no set color names, though.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have a similar roo and hens but I lost most of their babies to a coon [​IMG] but I still have one of their sons.
    Here he is a 15 wks:
    [​IMG]
    And a picture of dad Chipmunk and one of his possible moms:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    He's a beaut! I have 4 brown EE hens that look like yours..they have tamed down considerably since they have grown up. I have a blue wheaten roo from Zoomumzy-he's staying at my mom's in oregon till I can go get him [​IMG]
    I also want some black EE's...

5. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:The baby roo is so handsome, he is going to be a stunner!

His daddy sure does look like my roo, just more black.

So I could get any kind of colour, huh? It's all random? I kinda hope all the hens aren't brown, I hate to say it, but I find the colouration a tad boring. Sorry ladies!

6. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Can you get wheatens from this cross? Is that a random colour that appears?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

8. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Oh thank you for that site!! My rooster and girls look like NONE of those so I guess they are not real Ameraucaunas!!! Or can there be variations on those colours??

Would it be possible to get buffs, blues or blacks, silvers, etc?

So clueless. lol. I must say, I hope some of my mutts hatch, I can't wait to see a buff brahma/ee mix or a mix with the white columbian rocks.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Follow the various posts on this forum--read up on poultry genetics and pretty soon you will know a little and be asking questions based upon a little bit of knowledge. Rad some more and you will learn more and be hasking harder questions and answering hte easy ones. Eventually you'll be giving accurate answers to the difficult questions [​IMG]

You're not going to be getting any blues from that pair of birds [​IMG] Any buffs would have a LOT of smut; it's not really a likely outcome.

10. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I just remembered I also have one of their pullets hatched by a broody, she looks like her mom but instead of golden/brown color she has white/sliver. I'll try to get a picture of her soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by