EE cross question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thistlecreek, Oct 13, 2014.

1. thistlecreek

thistlecreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2014
    Central Iowa
    I picked up these lovely ladies from a guy who said they are Ameraucana crosses. He said the hens that produced these gals were in with both a BO roo and a Australorp roo. Can you tell by looking at them which rooster these came from? I don't know anything about color genetics and I know EE's can come in MANY colors. What egg colors should I expect? I'm assuming brown and green. Thanks![​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    If they are first generating Ameraucana/brown egg layer, they will most likely lay an olive or green colored egg. NOne of these girls look much like their potential fathers so it could be either.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First, I don't think that those are hens. For sure, the two in the back aren't.

The one in front may be a hen. If so, she'll likely lay green eggs. But, since she's probably a cross of an Easter Egger (which is already a cross) and a brown egg laying bird (Australorp or Orpington), she may very well lay brown eggs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Eggers can lay any color of egg, from deep blue to a pale pink. Some even lay brown. However, I don't think you'll be getting many eggs from your "hens." At least the ones in back are cockerels, and the one in front may be, too.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If indeed, a BO rooster or an Australorp rooster are the only possible choices as fathers, then the two in the back with the black feathering came from the Australorp rooster and the white one in the front came from the BO rooster. If the mothers were true Ameraucanas (highly unlikely), then the offspring will have green eggs. If the mothers were Easter Eggers (very likely), then there is no way to predict for certain what color the eggs will be, but they will likely be either green or brown. depending on whether the mother passes on her blue egg gene or their brown egg gene.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. All this is assuming that all three of your birds are hens, but I agree with Wyandottes7 and BantamLover21 that the two in back with black feathers in them are likely cockerels.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This - especially the first sentence, sorry.

8. thistlecreek

thistlecreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2014
    Central Iowa
    What makes you say they are cockerels? They are 20 weeks old and were in with other birds that were definitely roosters. I have 4 standard EE hens currently and 2 Ameraucana bantam hens and I'm not sure these look much different. Please enlighten me!

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Pretty blatant male hackle feathers (I suspect standing photos of the birds would reveal matching saddle feathers) and, especially with the top most bird, the comb.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by