EE egg laying question - color(s) and size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzpyoung, Dec 28, 2008.

1. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Hopefully this isn't too dumb, but I am very new to chicken ownership. Will an Easter Egger be consistent with size and color of eggs? One of them laid a HUGE green egg and on another day there was one the same color of green but more medium-sized. I've had a few pinkish colored and one very light blue one yesterday that was smallish. I have 10 young hens, most of whom just started laying - and I'm still not sure who's laying what. I have two buff Orpingtons, 1 barred rock, 2 golden lace Polish, 2 RIR bantams and 3 EEs. I'm getting at least one brown egg each day, which I assume are from the Orpingtons and barred rock. This all just started happening about 2 weeks ago, and I've been SO excited. In fact, I had 10 eggs in about 24 hours from yesterday to today. I never expected that in December in Michigan!!

2. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Yes, a chicken will lay the same color egg her whole life. The size will be close to the same as well. They tend to be a bit smaller the first year than the years thereafter, but are consistent in size throughout each laying season. It's possible one of you EE's is laying a pinkish or light brown egg but most likely those are coming from one of your other breeds.

Welcome to new chicken ownership.[​IMG] It's addicting.

3. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    As Byrdj says, yes, they will always lay the same color and about the same size. I have 2 EEs: one lays blue eggs, and one lays eggs that are a very faint brown, almost pink. They both lay large-jumbo eggs, and lay about 4 eggs a week.

The blue egg layer made a HUGE double yolker the first week she was laying, but the size has been consistent since then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by