EE egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hobbley_Farm, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    On Ideal, they list their Ameraucana/EE as which are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green

on Chicken Breed Chart they have them listed as "Medium" in size

My breeder said "small"

What should I expect? These are not bantams.

I am just wondering because I just bought another EE last night.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know if theres a generality about EEs since they are a mix of a lot of different breeds and lines, but I can tell you my EEs just started laying last month, and the eggs are huge! So it probably depends on the lines that you got them from.....I got mine from excellent lines that were bred specifically for egg color and size.

3. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    I dont think Ive ever had a "large" EE egg, usually about the size of the large bought eggs, which are not as large as my large eggs.
    can anyone make sense of that sentence? sounds funny to me lol.

4. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Ok...I was just going by Store Bought egg size. My Ancona lays "large" eggs by store bought standards. My sex links lay "medium" eggs by store bought standards. I am expecting my polish to lay "small" by store bought standards. What should I expect from my EEs?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It's been so long since I've looked at store bought eggs, I couldn't really compare. From EE experience, mine laid Medium-Large eggs their first year. After their moult, I was lucky if I could fit most of their eggs in Jumbo egg cartons. The majority of my girls laid big eggs.

Jody

6. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    It's been so long since I've looked at store bought eggs, I couldn't really compare.

me neither... last time we got store-bought was easter.........

we've got a mypetchicken ee'r - her eggs are smaller than our rir and two red stars (all also from mypetchicken, all the same age). the brown eggs are big enough to just barely fit in an egg carton, ee'r eggs are probably more like a medium or medium-large. she's heavily feathered, so she doesn't look considerably smaller than the other girls. but when i pick them up, she's definitely lighter than the rir and one of the stars. i'd guess she probably weighs around 5lbs. not tiny, not huge. i'd go by what the breeder told you, as they know what strains they've got going and how the chicks tend to turn out!

[​IMG] hope that helps!​

7. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah
    My EE's lay large store size eggs. The last 2 I've got since the molt have been even bigger.

8. gottaknit

gottaknit Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    My one EE lays eggs about the same size or slightly larger than our buff Orpingtons, and about the same as our Rhode Island Red.

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Our EEs lay slightly smaller than size large store-bought eggs. They are from MMM.

OTOH, they each lay an egg almost every single day. That makes up for the slightly smaller size of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by