EE Egg Question

VA Lady

Chirping
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Virginia
This has probably been answered before somewhere but I haven't found it yet... I'm wondering what egg colors are considered EE colors? I have one laying pale turquoise eggs which is an obvious color but what about pale beige eggs? This doesn't really apply to me because even though one of my hens lays that color she doesn't look like an EE at all - I'm just curious!

EE's, being a mixed breed bird, can lay any color egg... from all shades of browns (including pale beige), pinks, greens or blues.
They should have a pea comb, and beards and green legs, but again, since there isn't a 'breed standard' and they're mixes, they can not have those things and still have EE in them.

I've seen a Lt. Brahma hen, that looked very much like the light brahma standard except that she had a very, very thin beard (hardly noticeable at all) and she laid a green egg... so really, they can look like ANYTHING and still have EE in them.

If a chicken lays a brown or white - ie "standard" color egg, do we still consider them EE's, or are they then just barnyard mixes? It's a question that I don't know if it has a clear answer. If it has the green legs, beard, pea comb, all or any of those, but lays a brown egg, then is it still an EE? EE's being non-standard mixes, there really isn't a clear answer to your question. I'm still waiting for my EE to lay and egg, and I'm really hoping it's green!!

That's what kind of made me wonder... How many elements does an EE need to be an EE? The green and blue eggs seem obvious but I just wasn't sure about other colors... I guess it doesn't matter too much since they are a mix to start with though! When we got our 3 hens we thought they were all just regular mixes and were suprised when one turned out to be an EE. I think she falls safely in the category since she had green legs (they aren't as noticable as when she was younger), has the cute little feathers around her face and now is laying turquoise eggs. One of our other hens is a red sex link but the third girl is all mixed up! LOL I think she has brown leghorn and who knows what else in her. She does lay a very pretty pale beige egg though.

Our EE (Sasha):

Our funny mix with the pale beige eggs:

She is a funny thing to look at. I've wondered if she could be a mix of one half of another mix bird (like brown leghorn mixed with something speckled) and her other half related to Sasha (the EE) because she has the same buff shade as Sasha in her coloring and they came from the same cage of mixed up pullets from the same seller....

the first one looks like she has a little beard so I would say EE the other one sure is pretty looking be interesting to see what she lays.

Quote:
Both girls are beautiful, but the speckled one sure is neat looking!
love.gif

The speckled hen is Roxie and she is also very good at flying (the others flap and try for a direction, she is in control and can go where she wants). The 4 beige eggs in this pic are hers:

Back
Top Bottom