EE Eye Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rjackh, Feb 4, 2015.

1. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    I got this EE about a month ago, and her eye was like this when I got her. I didn't notice it when I picked her out, and the distributor was nice enough to give me a warning that some of her other EE had weird eyes. I dosed Terra-Vet 10 for 7 days at her recommendation starting roughly two weeks ago, but haven't seen any improvement. She said her two hens with eye problems cleared up within two days of her dosing Duramycin-10. Any ideas what could be wrong or what I can do? She acts perfectly normal all day, this eye just doesn't look right to me. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    Bad eye

[​IMG]
    Normal eye

2. TOOCLOSE

TOOCLOSE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    If other hens in the group she came from have had it or has it?
    It could be a genetic thing! [​IMG]Keep using the medicine suggested
    and give it time.
    She's a beautiful color!

TC

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think her eye has some swelling around the rim, which could be due to mycoplasma (MG/CRD) or another type of respiratory infection. The reason several have it, is that it is a contagious disease which is not cured. Symptoms may be treated with tetracycline drugs, Tylan, or Denagard, but your flock may all be carriers. Pecking around the eyes by overcrowded chickens could also cause swelling. I would suggest getting one tested if they develop noisy breathing, nasal drainage,eye bubbles, or increased swelling of the face. Your state vet may be able to help you if you call them, and here are some links for your state vet and testing centers around the US:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. rjackh

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the advice. There was crowding where she came from, but I wouldn't say it was way overcrowded. I just have 3 hens in a 4x8 coop inside a 16x16' pen right now, so there is no crowding now. I haven't noticed noisy breathing. There was one day during the terra-vet dosing that she had an eye bubble, but it was gone the next day. My other two hens are not showing symptoms of anything being wrong, and I don't notice either of them picking on her.

5. rjackh

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    Her eye never cleared up and it looks kinda milky now. She acts like she has lost almost all her vision in that eye. The other eye is still perfectly normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by