EE fathers, will the daughters lay green eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Jan 11, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my lovely gold duckwing EE roo made sure he gaves us lots of lovely offspring last year, we sold all the first broods and kept the last ones of the year so we'd have fresh young layers to start the year off. anyhow his daughters are all coming up to that special time in their lves where they will begin to lay shortly.....and i cant wait. but my question is....what colour eggs will they lay? the mothers were all different, so could be any of these......sussex, RIR, new hampshire, marans, brahma, EE mamas.....

so..we have around 10 young pullets from 'Rue' the roo....4 white and black, 4 brown, one cuckoo marans coloured and one brown/white flecks

do they need 2 ee parents to have the blue/green egg gene or just the one? do they need that gene from the mamas side or the daddys?

2. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    It is going to be fun to find lots of different shades of green and brown. You might even get an olive egg out of the murans mix. Please post phots when you get the eggs!

3. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    USUALLY, as in about 90% of the time, if the pullet inherited the dad's pea comb she's going to lay green/blue. If she's single combed she will lay brown. Of course, with your Brahma crosses that'll be a little harder to see!

Some EEs are pretty original/"heritage," if you will; they are homozygous for blue egg and every offspring will inherit the blue egg gene (and the pea comb). Others are more of a mixed-breed and may or may not pass on a blue egg gene.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well all 10 pullets have a peacomb

(i kept one of their brothers because he's so darn loveable and he's the only one out of all of them with a single comb! but even that is a small comb)

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    cool beans you should have some perdy eggs!!!!!

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i do hope so!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by