EE Faverolles gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ochochicas, Sep 16, 2014.

1. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    This is my 7 week old chick that hatched out of a green egg. To the best of my knowledge the mom was an Easter Egger and the dad is a Faverolles. Is it a cockerel or a pullet? This one really has me stumped. It developed a pink comb pretty early on, but the comb has not grown in size like the other cockerels have. I was going to cull "him", but it is so cute I'm hoping it ends up being a pullet. The chick isn't fighting at all with the other cockerels.

[​IMG]

At 6 weeks
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I can see why you are hoping its a pullet. This chick is gorgeous.

My gut instinct is telling me by that comb and some darker feathers coming in that you gave a little cockerel. I would think in a few weeks you'll know for sure. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also getting a roo-vibe from it, but no where near certain enough to cull for gender. I'd say hang on and see how things look in a month or so. Of course, if at any time it starts crowing, you'll have your answer.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards cockerel, too. Pretty bird!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullet, personally. The comb isn't that large/red for the age. However, I'm not sure. The patchy red coloration is a little suspicious.

6. ochochicas

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    I agree with all of you! Someone is crowing in the coop in the darkness of morning, but with 3 other cockerels in there I don't know who it is. The patchy red color on an EE would indicate cockerel. From the salmon faverolles side of things, a cockerel would be dark and the pullets are white and tan. This bird's brother is very dark gray/black and looks just like a faverolles, plus he has a big comb. I'll post a pic of him later. The other 3 cockerels are sparing with each other, but this one is mellow! Fingers are crossed that it is a pullet. He/She gets to stay until fighting starts. So far so good!

7. ochochicas

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    The brother to the chick in question.
    [​IMG]

The sister:
    [​IMG]

8. ochochicas

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    Ten weeks old now. I'm still hopeful that "she" is a pullet. Starting to look less and less like a cockerel. Here she is with her "brother" the turken that is also 10 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think you have a pullet.

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think so now, too [​IMG]. She's going to be a stunning bird when she matures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by