1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE first egg! But she laid it...................

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeachygirlGA, Oct 17, 2012.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Outside in the run, in the dirt! It's a pretty olive green, which is how I knew it wasn't from one of my other girls. Will she go in the boxes to lay or do I have a problem here???

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Often with the first egg or two, they don't realize what is happening so don't go and get in the nest box. I think it just feels like a big poop! Then they start to get the hang of it and lay in the nest boxes after that, in most cases. My EE laid her first two out in the yard but since then they've all been in the nest box.

3. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Ok, good! My others started laying in the boxes so this kinda threw me a little. Course this hen has never seemed like the brightest in the bunch! lol!

4. JesikaD01

JesikaD01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    We have 2 austrolops that have been laying for a week but the last 2 days my EE has been laying on the floor of the coop too (she is also not the brightest in the bunch from day 1) This morning we actually watched her sing the egg song...then she went in the goat house then wandered into the coop and was on the roost right next to the nest boxes...but never went in. A couple hours later we found the egg on the floor on the opposite end of the coop. CRazy EE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by