EE gender guess of the day

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Jul 9, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have 7 EE/ Ameraucana chicks that will be 9 weeks old this weekend. (4 are EE and we think 3 are pure, breeder had both at the time)
    I'm pretty sure they are all roosters - my general luck [​IMG] But there are a couple who still have me on the fence.

This is one of my favorites and would love it to be a girl, s/he is a little smaller than the other EE's and her comb isn't as red but is dark pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

It's hard to sex EEs. It looks like it could be a girl.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    From what I see I say hen. Then again last time I bought some I got all hens and one Rooster, Just good luck there I think.

4. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    wow she's gorgeous!

at least I think it's a she... legs say girl and nothing screams roo at this point... do you have a heads-on shot of her comb?

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I just love her and she is the nicest of all 7 EE's I hatched. They were raised by a broody and are pretty skittish at this point. This is the only one I don't see chest bumping ALL the time.

There is a blue pure ameraucana in the 7 that also might be a girl but is very hard to catch...

6. DKPoultry

DKPoultry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    I really sincerly hope she is a she for you. I had gotten 3 white EE chicks and they all looked like pullets untill they were around 14(?) weeks... Then they all got saddle feathers and I caught the one crowing [​IMG] But eh well... the one has turned out to be my most favorite chicken. He even eats the mosquitoes off my hand for me [​IMG]
    Silly pea combs are so difficult to sex.... But they are oh so cute....

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I was looking over the ones I am pretty sure are cockerals last night and none of them have saddle feathers yet either, in fact if I just went by feathers I would say they were all girls, but they had bright red combs by 4 weeks. This is the only one that doesn't scream like its on death row when I pick her up and his/her comb got color later than the others.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are all too young for saddle feathers.

I'm thinking boy for your white one. But give it some more time, EE's can be difficult to sex, and white ones make it trickier. ETA: a front shot of the comb would be helpful too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by