EE Gender Help Please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kyzmette, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I have four that I'm unsure of. The first white one is around 16 weeks, and the same day I groaned when I saw what look like pointed saddle feathers I also found a blue egg in the nesting boxes. I have NO other colored egglayers in that pen at point of lay, so I'm really confused. The other three are around 12-14 weeks old.

I appreciate any help you can give me! If they're boys they're getting caponized soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Boy on the first one,
    unsure on the rest if I were to guess I would say,
    Girl
    Boy
    Boy

3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I have a hen and a roo EE, but am far from an expert. I would say all are pullets with the exception of the last one. Do you have a better pic of the white one? I would be sure that the top one is your layer!!! You might wait another couple of weeks to be sure.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta

5. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    X2 this would be my guess, too.

6. mjgigax

mjgigax Overrun With Chickens

Jul 15, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    at this age I start looking for pointed saddle feathers. I can't tell too well from these pics.

7. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Kassaundra, petunia seed are minuscule...so where you ordered them apparently coated them with something inert for handling. I have an old fashioned petunia that is not a hybrid. They are very fragrant and come in white, pink, lavender, dark purple and magenta. My MIL said she has had these since she was first married. They come up volunteer. PM me your address and I'll send you seed....I love them in my garden because they draw bees and hummingbirds.

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    No doubt.

Male
    Female
    Male
    Male

Sorry :(

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Well that explains why they are perfectly round and white

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm sure not seeing the boys everyone else here is seeing [​IMG]

The first bird looks female to me. At 16 weeks, I'd sure expect a lot more comb, plus sex feathers, thicker legs, and still being in that gawky stage cockerels are at that point. This bird looks feminine to me, rounded and filled in like females do. I think the coloring on the neck feathers are maybe making folks think they're long and pointy? She also has smooth, even coloration, not wild and blotchy like they boys do.

The younger birds would be great if we could get better pics, profile shots of them standing like the first bird. I know they're hard to photograph, but they're hard to sex from the pics. I'm just not seeing anything screaming rooster at this point. If they were 8 weeks, I could maybe see it. But at 13? not so much. the only one I really wonder is the third one, with the redder feathers...again, better pics could help.

I do think they're too old to caponize...I think that's a younger is better kind of thing.

I'll sure be interested to see better pics, and then maybe again in a month or so to see how everyone's turned out!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by