EE gender? (pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wiss0023, Aug 3, 2010.

1. wiss0023

wiss0023 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, she's CUTE! *I* think she's a pullet.

And [​IMG]

3. somanychickens

somanychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    The only thing that concerns me is that tail--we have 2 EE hens and 2 EE roos--the hens have straight short tails, and the roos have long beautiful tails. The roos are awesome though--they eat out of our hands and do a great job of protecting the girls! I think your chick's face looks henish though! LOL

4. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Hmm, I have a bunch of EEs about the same age as yours (5/6 weeks) and the ones with tails curling like that I'm assuming to be boys. [​IMG] Of course, I won't know for sure for a little bit longer, but would love to think they were girls afterall. [​IMG]

Your bird is very pretty!

5. wiss0023

wiss0023 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I appreciate your responses! I have read from other posts that a curled tail means cockerel (and my other 3 females have straight tails), however, I have also read that people have had chicks with curled tails that ended up being pullets . . . has anyone had this experience? My other EE male had a much larger comb and was more flighty/aggressive.

6. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i say she too can't tell you why she just looks like a girl [​IMG] hope its a girl.

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you'll highlight the link and then click the "Img" button, we'll be able to see the pic without clicking on the link.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have found EEs to be very tricky, even though I only have about 8months experience. But, the combs do seem to develop faster and show 3rows on the males. This however is no absolute positive. I don't recall ever having a young pullet with a truly curved tail, but I know it happens. I vote pullet.

9. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    I've never been able to tell with EEs at that age.

Just a couple weeks ago, I moved all my roosters to their own bachelor pad at the rear of the property. As soon as I moved the last one at predawn, a little EE that I thought was a pullet started crowing. This was like, oh, 16 weeks or so?

10. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    You're gonna hate me, but I'd guess boy. My EE pullets didn't get any red in their combs until well after 10 weeks and your bird's tail looks rather jaunty. I'm no expert though so there's hope!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by