EE Gender Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redsoxs, Jul 21, 2011.

1. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Asking about the 2nd EE from the left - small comb, only one that hasn't crowed, doesn't have the swooping tail feather. How do you tell on an EE? Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

how to tell... 1. they crow [​IMG] 2. the pointed hackle and saddle feathers. 3. reddness and fullness of the comb. I beleve the one you are talking about is a hen, everyone else looks rooish.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If the comb has 3 rows it's a cockerel.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

but not all easter eggers have peacombs or perfect peacombs...EEs can have any type comb.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not sure which bird you're asking about--is the first bird on the left an ee? What I mean is, are you asking about the second or third bird from the left? The second bird is a roo, and I think the third one is but would really need a better pic. That's a lotta roos in that pic--what a nice testimony for folks who are just sure two roosters will kill each other!

6. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Id be guessing shes a he... the red in the wings and yellow orange feathers in the neck and saddle looks just like my boy gray beard, but without a close up It's hard to tell can you get a side shot closer.........and maybe a comb picture boys have 3 rows in the comb usually, some have smaller combs my GB does, my black beard has a huge almost rose comb.......I'll post a picture tomorrow so you can see them. It's amazing that they look so different as roos then when they were chicks hers a couple pics of them before.
    [​IMG]
    19weeks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    19weeks [​IMG]
    I think they were like 8 or 9 weeks in the first set of pics.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Looks like my EE hens

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm seeing pointed saddles/hackles and red shoulders on him. No, he's not as developed as the standing bird at the far left but I believe he's on his way. Your fence looks like a boy's club to me.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I see all roos:(

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Not true. Pullets have 3 rows on their comb, it's just not normally as prominent. I have had pullets pop 3 rows early on though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by