EE gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mother o' chicks72, Apr 27, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    so I'm posting them all in seperate posts this time so I don't overwhelm you.
    Ok this is Amapola, i've posted her lots of times before, and even after being told roo 100s of times not convinced. she is 10-12 weeks old. any guesses on gender?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Boy.

Very pretty boy though - Never seen an EE with such nice Columbian color and no red shoulders. That's a rarity!

3. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:Out of curiosity, why do you say boy?

4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Def a Roo.... sorry. This is my 11 week old pullet EE Cricket..... No red on comb or wadles and still flat as can be..
    [​IMG]
    And this is my 4 1/2 week old BOY EE Boo...Comb is red and bumby and waddles are pink but still some what flat..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Color and comb shape. Females, EE's especially, rarely come in a nice Columbian color like that, however it is common with males. Also, an easy way in sexing pea combed birds at a young age is by the definition of their comb. If it is clearly defined with rows and bumps, and begins to have a reddening color by 5 weeks to 16 weeks, it is a boy.

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Roo. it's comb is turning red at the points... A pullet's normally doesn't turn until they begin laying or prepare to lay...

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a boy.

8. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I would like to know why you all say boy, she has a very feminine personality, no chest bumping(ever!) no mounting the others and she hasn't tried to crow.

9. Pollo Posada

Pollo Posada Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Mount Airy, MD
    I agree... boy. All my EEs of that Columbian color ended up being roos.

10. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    It is all in the shape and color of comb and at what age it starts to change and develop. I just had to sell the SWEETEST buff orpington with a red comb and small waddles but I could have sworn he was a she JUST on the way he acted. He would cuddle and sit in your hands and talk to you and coo and was NEVER aggressive, NEVER chest bumped, NEVER tried to mount others...nothing....BUT when I sold other pullets, EVERY SINGLE person who saw him insisted he WAS a HE, as well as everyone on here! I was SO sad..... I have had other roos who didn't act like roos and some who were Roos even before their comb started changing! Sorry, just how it is...... Now go get 2 more chicks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by