1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alexandra33, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, all! We bought 12 straight run EEs this spring, and at almost 6 weeks of age, I'm definitely thinking we have almost all cockerels. [​IMG] Could anybody confirm this? [​IMG] Also, I'm still iffy on a couple.

#1. Cockerel
    [​IMG]
    #2. Pullet
    [​IMG]
    #3. ???? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #4. I'm thinking pullet, in spite of the "red patches of doom" or whatever they're called. [​IMG] Zero development whatsoever, plus I've had an EE pullet with red shoulder pads before.
    [​IMG]
    #5. Not sure?
    [​IMG]
    #6. Cockerel
    [​IMG]
    #7. Cockerel?
    [​IMG]
    #8. Cockerel
    [​IMG]
    #9. Pullet
    [​IMG]
    #10. Pullet
    [​IMG]
    #11. Cockerel?
    [​IMG]
    #12. Cockerel
    [​IMG]
    Another pic of #7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also have more pictures/angles if needed!

Thanks so much,
    ~Alex

2. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Oh man, what bad luck. That happened one time with me and EE chicks. I ended up with something like 12 or 13 cockerels and 3 pullets. It was crazy. But anyway, here's my thoughts: 1,3, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 12 all look like cockerels. 11 not sure on and 4 does look pullety to me. The rest look like pullets.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    9 and 10 are the only for sure pullets. 2 and 5 need more time. The rest are all male.

4. Alexandra33

Believe it or not, I'm not terribly upset. [​IMG] [​IMG] We'll simply keep the nicest and get rid of the rest. Oh dear, that's a ton of boys! [​IMG] Thank you so much for your input! [​IMG]

Definitely agree, there's no doubt about them. [​IMG] Alright, I'll update in another couple weeks or so!

~Alex

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  5. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

Seems like with EEs the bland ones turn out to be girls. I picked out all really pretty chicks that time. Now there's no science behind that besides my bad luck, but that's how I felt. I hope you get a super sweet and handsome rooster to keep.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 junebuggena

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    3x junebuggena

8. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

They are getting SO big and beautiful!!! [​IMG] I would guess 3 is a cockerel and 5 is a pullet. [​IMG]

9. Alexandra33

Your observation is a good one! The neat thing about EEs is that down appearance isn't at all related to plumage color once grown. [​IMG] Thanks, I'm confident at least a single boy will make the cut. [​IMG]

Awwwwwwww, thank youz! [​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah, I was kinda thinking so, too. [​IMG]

~Alex/Amari

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by