EE Genetics question? on Pea comb

GhostRider65

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
NE Wisconsin
I know I read somewhere that the pea comb on a male means he carries the blue egg gene? is this correct? I'm trying to decide what EE rooster to keep for my mixed flock,
1 has the pea comb and 1 has I would say a walnut comb. its much larger and looks sorta like brain. I'll pst a pic. so you can see.
I want to keep at least 1 EE rooster though I only have 1 hen right now, and am hoping she goes broody so next year I can have a few more pullets.
my flock consists of mostly roosters at the moment, 43 chicks 34 roos, but I did buy a few sex links from TSC, so I will end up with only 16 hens, and would like to keep 1 of some other breed as well, have any good choices for that rooster also? I have some of each breed listed. I was thinking the SS because I have the most pullets in that breed, what do you all think? I also really like the Delaware roos they are so sweet. So my mutt flock will be mixed for general diversity an genetic strength. What would you do otherwise for roo's? if these are not suitable?
These are my hens, and the rest of the 43 are roos.almost 4 of each 5 were roosters.
1 EE
1 BR
1 white wyandotte
1 SLW
2 white rocks
2 Delawares
4 SS
1 BO
3 BLSL
Pictures of my EE roos
81831_graybeardfront.jpg

81831_blackbeardfront.jpg

Last edited:
That rooster in the last pic is spectacular. The other one is just okay.

Of course, that has nothing to do with your question, but I have some EE gals that would love to spend some time with Mr. Picture #2.

cool.png

Ty yes he is very pretty and more so in person than picture, he has such wonderful purple and teal in his feathers, plus the copper color in his sickle feathers is bright and beautiful, if I need to rehome him where are you? if your close you welcome to him, for I would hate to cull and freeze him h'es so nice and a pretty good roo as well. he is my favorite, my hubby likes graybeard.

both handsome, well cared for birds, hard to choose...glad I don't have too...

from the pic, maybe just the angle, looks like #1 is a little wider?

decisions, decisions...
smile.png

The pea comb does not mean a rooster carries the gene for blue eggs, but does increase the chances under some conditions. The second male appears to have a pea comb to me, but a bit large and sloppy, often indicating it carries genes for both pea and single comb.

Quote:
Yes he is wider, Black beard is more upright and thinner, They are both 18 weeks old now born about March 25th. I got them as day olds from TSC I picked 3 babies 1 of each light medium and dark go figure 2 are roos, I actuall wanted 1 roo 2 hens LOL just my luck seeing as how 80% of my hatchery order was roosters. argggggggggggggrgrumble. Oh well theres always next year. I really like my chickens they are a bit spoiled but I love em anyway. I plan to expand a bit next year. and add some more EE pullets, I hope. any suggestions on picking babies that are hens......LOL

Back
Top Bottom