EE has lost the red color to her comb...but is acting fine

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElCerritoPlace, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Is that normal? She had a red comb, was laying, started her 8 month molt and stopped laying. About 1 month later her comb is pale, almost whitish. Right around this time we got our first bit of cold weather, down into the single digits at night. She still behaves her crazy neurotic self, but I'm wondering if she's missing some vitamin or something? Do chickens loose their red comb color after they are mature for any reason? This is my first winter with chickens, so any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i dont remember the order but they lose red comb, feet legs a few things when their not laying. normal. when you see it starting to :pinking up" thats when you know she is starting to get ready to lay again

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This will happen when they molt. Molts can easily take two months or longer. Also, as I'm sure you know, some stop laying in winter then start again in spring. Comb redness is at least partly a hormonal thing, so they they are red when laying and more pale during rest periods.

4. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Whew! I thought it was a maturation thing, and that once it was red it would stay red. Thank you!

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you should see some of the things i have learned here. so simple to some , amazing to me. just today i learned about the little red flag in the corner of each post.hahah

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The red comb is a sign of sexual maturity/fertility, a sign to the rooster the hen is fertile and receptive to mating. When a hen is immature, molting, broody or ill, her comb will lose color as she's not in a place to reproduce during those times. It will plump back up and regain it's color once she's ready to lay again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by