EE hasn't laid an egg in 4 or 5 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meathook, May 27, 2010.

1. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    My 5 Red Stars are consistently laying 5 eggs every day and our one EE was laying about every other day. I noticed today that there were no greenish blue eggs in the carton and looked in the other two that were there and nothing. I remember eating one the other day so that makes me think she hasn't laid in 4 or 5 days. I looked her over today and felt around and didn't notice anything. I did think her comb was a bit pale the other day but today it is nice and red. She has been acting fine.

Any thoughts? Anything to worry about? She is about 9 months old.

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    As long as she remains healthy and active, eating and pooping well, I wouldn't worry yet. A few days off is nothing. Could just be something stressed her or her body, or especially the shell gland could be taking a little maintenance break. They are living creatures, after all, not egg machines! There are many things that can affect egg production. Is she acting a little broody - sitting on the nest and such? Make sure, at minimum, you keep offering a good quality layer feed with adequate protein levels, and offer crushed well-flaked oyster shell, always available, on the side, plus clean fresh water always available too.

3. Country Cluck

Country Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Battle Ground
    A pale comb can be an indication of mites. I would pick her up and check near her vent area and near her stomach. I just went through this same situation and it turned out to be a huge mite infestation that happened rather quickly, so I would start there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by