EE hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChicMommy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ChicMommy

ChicMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Winston Salem, NC
    This is my EE Boss, while Boss has not crowed yet there also have been no eggs. Boss is the largest of our EE and I am just unsure as to whether we have a hen or a roo on our hands. Just yesterday Boss did assume the mating position while being pet, squatted down wings slightly out. Boss is the most skittish of our flock but the sheer size of her/him has got me wondering. Boss was born Nov 21st of 2011. Thanks, Jen

[​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

thats a girl. looks to be close to laying based on her size and redness of comb. She is also the same age as my pullet who started laying yesterday. Good luck with her. Hope u get lots of eggs

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Pullet. I have an EE that acts like a bully and bossy. As soon as the dog kennel is free, she is going into time out.

4. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Deffo a pullet

the feathers are very rounded

5. ChicMommy

ChicMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Winston Salem, NC
    Thanks everybody! I have been sweating it for about four months, the kids even changed her name from Ester to Boss because of her size and rapid maturity! Cant wait to see the color of her eggs.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pullet

7. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    I think EE males usually stand out early. They are "prettier" and more flashy than the girls.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That color is all girl. She should be laying soon from that comb. Keep in mind, ees can lay shades of brown or pinkish, not just blue or green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by