EE - hen or rooster?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
I have an Easter Egger who is now 9 weeks old.

Below are pics of this bird at 9 weeks and also at 4 weeks. I just have one EE - so if you see an EE in the photos below, it is all the same bird.
smile.png

This EE has been much larger than my other chick of the same age (a RIR- in the background in the first photo). Now my BR who are a week younger are a little bigger than the RIR, but the EE is still the biggest.

The feathers around the neck are coming in -- they look pointy due to the coloring, but so far they look fairly rounded when you look at the feather itself. The comb has been pinkish for a while, still not really red. My first chicks, so no idea what I am really looking for.

This is one of the mildest-mannered chickens of my 4. Ready to go at food. Really likes to eat greens/grass. Keeps its head down most of the time. Some necks-up posturing at the other chicks, including one I am sure is a hen.

7883_jpnose9wks.jpg

7883_juicypoops9wks.jpg

at 4 weeks:
7883_bwjp2.jpg

7883_bwjp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a boy to me.........my EE's did not have any red in the comb/face until almost 6 months. My ee roo was getting it early like your bird. He was also bigger than the others too.

Last edited:
Looks like my pullet EE--
The thick neck feathers confused me at first with mine-but yours looks alot like my blue pullet ee--
Ours raises her neck feathers up when she is chased by our other pullet girls--and looks like a lion!
Yours is a pretty one!

I think it's pullet. I have a girl with the same colors too and she'a a sweety. Because of her colors I call her Sunny. It looks like her comb will stay small but I'm pretty new to this too. Very pretty girl!
wink.png

I'll update when it becomes apparent who is right!... interesting to hear the other names. This chicken's current name is "Juicy Poops" because.. well, you might guess. This chicken likes to eat a lot of grass & vegetation, and seems to consistently come out... anyhow, my BF told me there was no way that I could name the chicken that, so that's ... about when the name stuck.
big_smile.png

Once we are over this business of whether or not I am going to eat this chicken, it can have a better name.

Wait, does that mean that I could end up having Juicy Poops soup? Ewwwww.
tongue.gif
maybe I need a new name sooner rather than later.

Anyhow, unlike my other maybe-rooster, this chicken is nice. I call all my chickens "poopers," because that seems to be what they do.... a lot.

Overall, I still think the reddish comb & size could turn out to be the signs of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom