EE Hen panting and hasn't laid an egg in a week

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beth G., Jul 16, 2010.

1. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hi All,

Looking for some input. I have a 11 month old EE Hen panting constant and hasn't laid an egg in a week. I just went out to check on her and she keeps panting. It's warm but, not that hot out at this time of night. All the other 30+ chickens are not panting only her. Any ideas whats wrong with her? I checked her for mites and she has none. She has been eating and drinking.

Thanks,
    Beth

2. Beth G.

Anyone? Please [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If possible, can you bring her inside where it's cooler? Then if she stops panting, you'll know it's heat related. You stated that she's been eating and drinking, that's a good sign. Heat can cause them to stop laying.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'd say heat, my girls go weeks without laying, but feel around below the vent for egg binding.

5. Beth G.

Thanks Guys, I put her in a cage in the cool basement and she did stop panting by morning. I felt around her vent area but, nothing seems abnorm except it's not moist like its supposed to be. I just checked on her and she seems normal. Should I keep her inside or maybe put her back out with her girlfriends?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt keep her seperated too long from the others. I'd put her out with the others and if she starts looking overheated again...you know what to do. You might want to give her some plain yogurt in her feed to boost her immune system and crushed boiled egg (extra protein) mixed in as well, it should help.

1 person likes this.
  7. Beth G.

Quote:Thank you very much! I'm going to make her up the yogurt egg dish now. I can tell she misses her two sisters. She keeps clucking in the basement as if she is calling them. Poor thing, I hope this does the trick and she is back to normal. Take Care, Beth

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by